Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having terrible luck finding a good set of solid fenders for my 86 bronco, i need both front fenders, the drivers side was bashed in pretty good and the bottom of the passenger side is rusted out. I can't seem to find an old f150 around that nobody will just part out OR has good fenders. SO, my question is how good do the aftermarket fenders fit? I know some can be quite good, but some can be quite crap. I also don't want to pay 100 bucks for an OEM fender only to pay 200 for the shipping. Anyway, if anyone has any experience with them please let me know. Id like to know how the body lines look, does it match up at the top good, does it line up flush with the door? I know it will bolt on, but does it look right is my question.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
29,132 Posts
Yo Rob,

According to local body shop owner, he purchases body parts that are CAPA Certified.
Gordon is only source that meets CAPA criteria for 87-91. I believe CAPA recently dropped out earlier years, such as 86 due to reduced parts demands.

Here is s previous CAPA posting;
Manufacturer Part Description Make/Model Years Details Part Assembly # AM Part # OEM Part # PartsLink
➡Gordon Door Shell R Ford Bronco 1980-1986 FDPU80DR1 E4TZ1520124A FO1301103
Gordon Hood Ford Bronco 1980-1986 FDPU80HD1 E4TZ16612B FO1230104
Gordon Tailgate Ford Bronco 1983-1993 FDBC83TG1 E8TZ9840700A FO1900106
3 Certified Part Applications Listed

Gordon Auto Body Parts Co., Ltd.
No. 48, Nei-Shi Road
Lu Chu Hsiang
Taoyuan County Taiwan 338
Gordon Auto Body Parts Company, the world's leading manufacturer of automotive sheet-metal replacement parts.

Certified Automotive Parts Association (CAPA) "An Independent Authority on Quality.
There are replacement parts and there are “replacement parts”. Quality can vary widely. Just because a part is identified for a specific make and model vehicle is no guarantee it will fit, perform, last or be as safe as the original.
Not even an industry professional can tell a quality replacement part from the rest by looking at it or by whatever fancy brand or authoritative name they call it.
The Certified Automotive Parts Association (CAPA) was established in the public interest in 1987 to set up and oversee a testing program to assure the suitability and quality of automotive replacement parts. Independent, unbiased, non-profit, fully transparent and with no vested interest in the outcome, CAPA has since become the auto industry’s recognized authority on the quality and safety of parts used for collision repairs.
Our comprehensive testing program is a valuable public service that provides consumers, auto body shops, parts distributors and insurance adjusters with the reliable, objective means they need to identify quality replacement parts. Parts that will fit, perform, last and be every bit as safe as the originals. CAPA Certification is even recognized by government regulators as an assurance of quality.
What makes CAPA stand out from the rest is the fact that we have no vested interest in the sale of these parts or in selling of certification services. The public interest is what is at the core of the CAPA program.
To date, over 95 million replacement parts have earned CAPA Certification by meeting or exceeding CAPA’s stringent quality standards, making it one of the most widely respected quality assurance programs ever. That’s the good news. The bad news: There are millions of untested, problematic parts in the marketplace. To be sure you have a genuine CAPA Certified replacement part look for the distinctive yellow and blue CAPA Quality Seal that comes on every CAPA Certified part.
The CAPA Quality Seal appears only on replacement parts that meet or exceed CAPA Standards. It provides independent, objective assurance of product quality.
If there is no seal on the part, it is not CAPA Certified, regardless of what the seller says.
Shops — If it’s not on the part don’t even start!
Consumers — Ask for proof!

CAPA Seal

The CAPA Seal is proof a replacement part is CAPA Certified to fit, perform and last like the original. No test fitting required." Bu CAPA @ Overview | CAPA Certified Auto Parts

Ask local body shop for a souce

Reactions: robbz28

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
986 Posts
I am fortunate that JBG & NPD are within an hour drive of me so I get to avoid that crazy shipping cost. I did find that shipping was really reasonable ($15) from Mill Supply when I got a rear crossmember from them...

I just picked up both fenders & a hood from NPD on Friday & i see no CAPA Certification on it, just a certification that it was made in Taiwan, which probably means it will fit like crap.

A good friend of mine owns a local restoration shop & has for decades, i asked where to get these items from & he said on the old parts like these,they are all manufactured overseas, so it didn't really matter, it was all the same China/Taiwan crap in the old truck parts like we need.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess let me know when he puts in on there. So, my drivers fender is complete trash, no saving it, but the passenger fender has rust on the very bottom behind the front wheel, i thought about buying a new fender and seeing how it fit, and if it fit like crap, maybe cutting the rotten spot off and cannibalizing the new fender for a patch, i dont know. I have had aftermarket fenders that fit great and ive had them that fit like crap, you just have to be patient and move, shim, tighten, loosen, move the door, move the fender, move the door again...its soooo fun.

All of a sudden im more interested in the 63/64 corvette that's floating over your bronco there...

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
986 Posts
All of a sudden im more interested in the 63/64 corvette that's floating over your bronco there...
Lol Its a 64... almost done with a frame off on that...
Thats why I'm not fully tearing into the Bronco just yet.

My buddy said fenders wont be too bad out of shape, flanges bend easy to get the fit decent. I do all my own work, not him, his prices are outrageous!! Haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts