Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you running aftermarket gauges, I was wondering where you installed them, and if you'd be willing to post a picture.

I don't trust, nor do I care, to spend the time getting the factory gauges working. I was planning on mounting the fuel gauge to the left side of the steering wheel, beside the wiper switch, and the oil pressure, and water temp gauges on the right (running the mechanical lines through the back of the storage area).

Last night I got the old girl fired up again, and kept wondering where my coolant temp was, what the oil pressure was, and it was not a fun feeling. To really dial in the timing, I want to make sure everything is operating properly, so gauges just made it to the top of my list.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a follow up question: If I were to instead buy electrical oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges, could I use the factory wires going to the factory sending units to power my aftermarket gauges?

Thanks!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,371 Posts
Heh, ive got a few of em in my 85...

There is a thread here somewhere on the install. Titled something like Autometer gauges in an 85.

Ive got a vacuum gauge and air tank pressure gauge to install too

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,371 Posts
Heres my thread.
AutoMeter gauge install 1985 Bronco

Yes, you can reuse say the oil pressure and water temp wiring. I did not, as i went mostly mechanical. The fuel level gauge uses the factory wires.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 167270

I used a gauge pillar with Autometer electric water temp and oil pressure.

Aftermarket electric gauges comes with their own sender.
I really like the pillar mount look, but I don't think anyone makes them for the 84' Fords. Every time I've looked only Chevy and Pontiac come up. In a post below, I saw someone mounted 3 gauges where the ash tray is. I've been eyeing that spot up this whole time.

There is a thread here somewhere on the install. Titled something like Autometer gauges in an 85.

I found that thread and bumped it. That looks freaking awesome! But, way more work than I want to get into right now as the whole truck still needs redone.

Thank you!

Heres my thread.
AutoMeter gauge install 1985 Bronco

Yes, you can reuse say the oil pressure and water temp wiring. I did not, as i went mostly mechanical. The fuel level gauge uses the factory wires.
Once I looked up diagrams for wiring, I see it's easier to just take from an ignition "on" wire for the hots. I'm thinking if I mount it in front of the ash tray, I can just pull from the cigarette lighter for 3 gauges. Shouldn't have too much draw. Then I'll just wrap up the factory wiring to the coolant and oil and tuck them off to the side if anyone wants to re-do this in the future (if I sell).

I'm still learning when it comes to electricity, so until I get this stuff in my hands, and look at the diagrams, it's hard to piece it all together. Then I don't know if I need inline fuses, relays, etcetera, or if I can just splice into the cigarette lighter hot and run 3 hots out of one splice to each gauge. A buddy of mine is an electrician, so I'll be bugging him with this question.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,371 Posts
Electricians arent always the best when it comes to DC as most of what they do is AC. But definitely can be helpful.

I would add a single hot wire, fused, from the starter solenoid. Then split it once in the cab. Keep the wire after the split as short as possible and use 12ga for the main power feed.

I had all 9 running off too small of a pigtail and a couple wouldnt work right because of voltage drop over the too small of wires.

Reactions: Flesh Eater

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Electricians arent always the best when it comes to DC as most of what they do is AC. But definitely can be helpful.

I would add a single hot wire, fused, from the starter solenoid. Then split it once in the cab. Keep the wire after the split as short as possible and use 12ga for the main power feed.

I had all 9 running off too small of a pigtail and a couple wouldnt work right because of voltage drop over the too small of wires.
From the hot side of the solenoid? Like if I'm on the outside of the passenger fender, it'd be on the right, closest to the battery?

That makes sense. I'll have to see if I have a big enough crimper to handle 12 gauge wire for the inline fuse and the split. Could always solder it, I guess.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,371 Posts
From the hot side of the solenoid? Like if I'm on the outside of the passenger fender, it'd be on the right, closest to the battery?

That makes sense. I'll have to see if I have a big enough crimper to handle 12 gauge wire for the inline fuse and the split. Could always solder it, I guess.
No, from the small terminal on the solenoid marked with an "I" (I think. Might be the S terminal). If you run it from the side with the battery hot wire, the gauges will always be on. 12ga is easily stripped and crimped with standard strippers and crimpers.

Dont solder them, as that puts undue stress on the soldered joint with all the vibrations itll see.

My gauges are all on a toggle switch. But i also have a funky ignition setup. Its on a toggle switch too, with the key only working the starter itself. I can turn and remove the key and it will run till it runs out of gas or till i flip the ignition toggle switch.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, from the small terminal on the solenoid marked with an "I" (I think. Might be the S terminal). If you run it from the side with the battery hot wire, the gauges will always be on. 12ga is easily stripped and crimped with standard strippers and crimpers.

Dont solder them, as that puts undue stress on the soldered joint with all the vibrations itll see.

My gauges are all on a toggle switch. But i also have a funky ignition setup. Its on a toggle switch too, with the key only working the starter itself. I can turn and remove the key and it will run till it runs out of gas or till i flip the ignition toggle switch.
Oh, okay. I'll check that out tonight.

I'm having a Homer moment...I know what 12 gauge is now. I was just looking at the other day at NAPA.

Do you have any other decent gauge recommendations other than AutoMeter? They're PRICEY!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,324 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive wheel system

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
16,371 Posts
Oh, okay. I'll check that out tonight.

I'm having a Homer moment...I know what 12 gauge is now. I was just looking at the other day at NAPA.

Do you have any other decent gauge recommendations other than AutoMeter? They're PRICEY!
Equus or Bosch or Sun, ive had good results with them all. AM also has a lower line called autogauge that is sufficient too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Equus or Bosch or Sun, ive had good results with them all. AM also has a lower line called autogauge that is sufficient too.
Equus got some good reviews. I ordered everything I needed for like $130 as opposed to the $240 for AutoMeter. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I plan to build a center console that goes from stock to the dash, will install 6 gauges and EFI pad there.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,259 Posts

No guessing what's going on under ur hood is there 😉

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was seeing that you can order just the dash base (at least for the 87-91). That could be an option... I’m now debating if I’m going to redo my gauges as well, or leave them as is.
That would be kind of cool. What’s the price on just the panel?

I found a perfect spot for my gauges. Summit got my package to me today! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.