Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we put in the oil and Temp gauges from Auto meter and now It won't start? This is a 90 Bronco with 302. We just ditched the Stock Temp sensor but I am not sure if it is important to have it or not. Any ill affects leaving it unhooked in favour of the mechanical one? We have everything back together correctly so I don't understand what the probelm is. The temp sensor is the one at the front of the engine on the lower intake right above the T-stat housing correct? Any ideas? It started the first time we tried it but it kept stalling like the MAP or PCV was unplugged shich they aren't. Completely confused!

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
check the plug on the IAC and TPS... you may have knocked one or both loose... :shrug Also, what did you do with the wire that came off the original sensor for the original temp guage??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We left the original sensor in the harness but just put it off to the side. The truck was running fine before we started and I know it isn't the fuel pump or fuel pump relay cause they were both changed about a month ago. I will Check the other sensors to be sure. It just seems like it will be something simple. Does the original sensor being unplugged hurt at all? i know some vehicles use the coolant temp sensor for fuel calculations and so forth. I have heard of others on here who just left it out and had no problems. We had a little arcing in one plug wire but I wouldn't think that would keep it from running. Same with the temp sensor.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
You did the wrong one. There's a coolant temp sensor and there's a temp sender. The sensor is for the ECM and the sender is for the dash gauge. Do not use the sensor, use the sender. The sensor is a 2-3 wire deal where the sender is a 1-wire deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the one we used is a two wire one and I did not see any other one. I must have missed it. If it is on the head on the passenger side the guage wire will not go far enough across the engine to work. I f anyone can tell me where the correct one is then that would be great. Still doesn't make sense why it wouldn't start! Sorry I am a Jeep guy and this is my dad's Bronco so I am a little unfamiliar with the 302 for now anyways!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay guys I got the sensor thing figured out it was the sensor and not the sender I used so I will be switching them in the morning and we will see how it goes from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay it is workign now. My dumb mistake. I have worked on plenty of Jeeps and I should have known that the ford one is the same idea for sensors as I have worked a little on my old Ranger and they all have the one wire one. Man I feel stupid! :toothless Oh well at least it is working now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts