Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Hooker 14" case Aero Chamber muffler in today with center 3" in center 3" out, along with a 3 inch Maremont tailpipe. For my 1995 Bronco XLT 5.8L. I removed the stock muffler and tailpipe right where it's clamped together behind the second cat. when i went to fit the hooker muffler there was no way it was gonna clamp to the stock exhaust without seriously interfering with the crossmember. :banghead I tried turning it just about every way i could. I got the muffler center/center because all the pictures that i seen of ur guys exhausts showed u guys using them. :shrug It looks like i'm gonna need to get one with a offset inlet. I was just wondering what u guys had to do to get them to fit.

Heres a link to the muffler i'm using: http://www.holley.com/21506HKR.asp

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,689 Posts
I tried turning it just about every way i could. I got the muffler center/center because all the pictures that i seen of ur guys exhausts showed u guys using them. :shrug
That's the problem. Most of us aren't using the factory cat-forward stuff anymore. You've got to figure it like this: the newest of these trucks are 12 years old, and that's getting pretty old for a factory exhaust system on anything close to being a daily driver. Besides, we've known for a while that the real restriction in the exhaust system of these trucks is the factory catalyst setup and manifolds. A "cat-back" exhaust like you're doing is virtually useless for performance.

The factory catalyst exit is too close to the body to use anything but an offset-inlet oval muffler, IIRC. An offset inlet and center outlet should work fine, but don't quote me. :toothless

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay thanks guys. I wasn't really expecting much of a gain in performance i was just looking for a little better sound. The Bassani Y-pipe is prob gonna be my next upgrade when i get about $400 extra dollars layin around. I hear it's well worth the money for the improvements it gives you in power nd gas mileage. will a offset muffler still work with a bassani y pipe or should i just keep the center offset nd use a piece of flex tubing for now?

·
Banned
10,714 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think i'm gonna order a bassani y-pipe pretty soon here. I was checkin out http://www.performancepeddler.com and they had a deal where if i use the merchant login code ebayrocks then post it here i'll get another $10 off my order.
I kept checking www.autoanything.com and found a 10% off sale...got the cheapest Y pipe for $188 plus around $23 for the reducers. They are on eBay too for a pretty decent price. As for the cats, eBay the factory ones and then get a Catco converter off of eBay. After you sell the cats the upgrade should only be about $100-125.

Derek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.