Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an aftermarket roof rack from a buddy for $100. Figured it was a good deal as the ones I was looking at online were between $300-$500. Question I have is it came off a Tahoe and he doesnt have the mounting brackets so what are ya'll using for mounting brackets on the fiberglass roof? If it was a regular metal roof i'd have no worries about just a small metal braket and some botls just wasnt sure how that roof would like that. I can fabricate just about anything I could need and have a welder, grinders, etc... Thanks guys!

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
you can bolt it to the fiberglass top just fine

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I drilled 10 holes in my fiberglass top to mount my roof rack. I put a dab of silicone in the holes before i put the screws in to keep it from leaking. It worked pretty good. My roof rack is off a 2000 Suburban I just cut it down to the right length.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the roof solid or in it hollow in the middle? Any problem with bolts crushing down into the fiberglass?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Is the roof solid or in it hollow in the middle? Any problem with bolts crushing down into the fiberglass?
The center section is about 1/4" thick fiberglass. It's solid and the bolts wont crush it if you use washers and a reasonable torque spec

·
Registered
600 Posts
just use a washer and lock nut washer on each side.

·
Registered
600 Posts
another thing you can do is go to home depot and get some uni-strut and some all thread. Make sure you have a hack saw or a saw zaw. this will distribute the pressure over the length of the fiberglass top. you will need washer and nuts on each side.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
just use a washer and lock nut washer on each side.
Yup. That would work. I havent ever checked if the bolts are still tight but thats exactly how I have mine setup. I dont think it would be a good idea to put more than 200-300 lbs up there but I've had that much on my roof

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think the wellnuts would work if you were bolting it to the flat top surface of the shell, where they would only be holding the rack in place. But I wouldn't use them if you were mounting it to the sides of the top above the side windows - which is where I would do it. Thus, the sides of the shell bear the weight vertically so it could hold a lot more without bowing the top of the shell.

·
Registered
600 Posts
has any one used well nuts? A lot of OE applications just use those.

Wow that's a bad pic. With these, there would be no need for silicone.
that looks like i could work but i would like the security of knowing it cant move. Also if you have a nut on there u can either put lock tight on the threads or at least retighten the nut if it comes loose

1 - 13 of 13 Posts