Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if someone could help me to fully understand the 4X4 hubs and aftermarket wheels. I want to fully wrap my head around this and make sure I understand how the hubs affect changing wheels. Do only certain wheels fit because the center caps need to allow for the hubs? Does it matter if they are manual or automatic in regards to this? Thanks, I know this is a noob question, I just really want to fully understand it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Your wheels need to have a bore that is larger than the hub diameter on your truck. I don't exactly know what yours will be, but mine is near 4".

I think most 5x5.5 wheels will have adequate hub spacing - you just need to verify at time of purchase. Our trucks are a lug-centric design. Backspacing/offset also goes into how the wheel will sit relative to the hub.

I believe there is a wheel and tire sticky that would be a good primer before buying any wheels.

EDIT: May be worth some time in here:

Wheels/Tires

·
Registered
769 Posts
The front Auto hubs are also only so strong. Running too big a tire can lead to failure. I want to say about 35"?? I'm really not sure.

But yes, the wheel needs to be lug centric (it centers on the hub via tapered base lug nuts as opposed to sitting snug via the center hole over the hub (hub centric). That hole needs to be big enough to fit over the front hubs.

Have fun in that thread linked above. Also, if you get wheels locally they should be able to tell you if the ones you want will fit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @rpeters549! So, is it a matter of the center cap of the wheel needing to stick out from the wheel as well for the hubs to fit in or is that just how the stock wheels look?

·
Registered
769 Posts
The rears have hollow cone things to occupy the hole the front hub goes through. It could be solid and fit I side, but if you had manual hubs you'd be out of luck. I don't think any wheels are available that clear the hub and cover it.

So yeah, the hub (which has the auto hub, brake disc, etc) needs to stick through and out. When you rotate your tires the shop screws on those cone hub covers to cover the hole, or the wheel has a slip in cone thing that does the same thing.

·
Registered
769 Posts
So the pics are stock wheels. The hub hole 'cover' isn't used on front (first pic) so the hub can poke through. You can see the super faded 4x4 sticker on the hub.

Second pic shows the screws that hold the stock hub hole cover on.

My winter wheels have a slip through hub hole cover I stead of a screw on.

Both stock wheels fit front and rear by swapping the screw on hub covera- one with a hole for the front, one without a hole for rear.

Any aftermarket wheel will more than likely have slip through hub hole covers.

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual locking hubs
501 Posts
just look out not to buy "car" wheels.
mostly the car wheels are centered with the hub, which - as written above - is different with the trucks:
the rims are centered with the nuts on the wheel studs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts