Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, heres the setup...i have a 90 351/AOD setup that i plan on doing the MAF swap on. The tech articles i keep reading are related to e4od trucks, well those dont work for me as we all know the AOD isnt controlled by a computer.

What donor vehicles and parts would i need for my swap, again, a non e40d setup

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I thought the 90's came with a EAOD or some shit like that. Then 91 got the E4OD.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
A Mustang with a manual would work. I'm pretty sure any MAF Bronco/Fx50 with anything other than the E4OD would work as well.
Thats what that kit comes with, just add 2 o2 bungs, and a K&N FIPK or some other mass air compatable filter and your good to go :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so with all that said....what year did the mass air trucks begin? Are the 5.0/5.8 the same for maf and wiring??

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Those guys aren't really selling a kit using a "Calibrated" MAF are they?

so with all that said....what year did the mass air trucks begin? Are the 5.0/5.8 the same for maf and wiring??
The problem with Mass-Air truck computers is all the ones available where for an E4OD. Most of the time this is not a problem, but one member here recently could not get rid of a drivability problem using a manual and Mass-Air truck computer.

I would, and did use a Mustang A9-P and either modify a Mustang harness (Also what I did) or buy a "Kit" from one of the manufacturers. Such as this one http://rjminjectiontech.com/collections/efi-harness/products/truck-sd-to-maf-harness

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
ok, heres the setup...i have a 90 351/AOD setup that i plan on doing the MAF swap on. The tech articles i keep reading are related to e4od trucks, well those dont work for me as we all know the AOD isnt controlled by a computer.

What donor vehicles and parts would i need for my swap, again, a non e40d setup
You want a 1989-93 Mustang computer
4.9L
1980-1989 - C6 Auto Transmission
1989-1996 - E4OD Auto Transmission

5.0L
1980-1990 - AOD Auto Transmission
1990-1993 - E4OD Auto Transmission
1994-1996 - AODE or E4OD Transmission (Option)

5.8L
1982-1989 - C6 Auto Transmission
1990-1996 - E4OD Auto Transmission
Fixed :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I believe that the RJM MAF Upgrade Harness and Fiveology Racing MAF Upgrade Harness are one of the same. I know that Ryan makes them for other name retail companies and the harnesses in the pics look exactly the same in every detail. I also believe that Fiveology is using a variety of PCMs, depending on application. Buyers need to know this because it may impact future goals.

RJM MAF Upgrade Harness

Fiveology Racing MAF Upgrade Harness

Those guys aren't really selling a kit using a "Calibrated" MAF are they?
A Calibrated MAF, not a reprogrammed PCM. The last one I have seen uses a 5.0L HOG0 (F4TF-12A650-AAA) EEC that does not have a J3 Service Port that will enable you to intercept the PCM Bus and actually tune your 5.8L engine with a chip or on-board programmer. This leads me to believe that they use a variety of PCMs as available, specific to manual or auto transmission.

I would, and did use a Mustang A9-P and either modify a Mustang harness (Also what I did) or buy a "Kit" from one of the manufacturers. Such as this one http://rjminjectiontech.com/collections/efi-harness/products/truck-sd-to-maf-harness
I cannot say enough about the RJM MAF Upgrade Harness. It is neat and clean and reduces installation stress...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well there we go, i think you guys have summed it up. Ive been researching until my brain was gonna pop and have been on the fence about the RJM harness and the fiveology kit, all the other stuff seemed to be lacking ALOT in their so called "kits" and theres one kit thats going for 1200-1500 ish....f**k that noise! I'm a mustang guy and have plenty of mustang hookups, so i think ill find the comp and order up that harness

between you all you have answered all my questions in a whored out topic, lol

Next round is on me :beer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh...to add on here, what intake/plenum are we all running (for the converted trucks)? Does this swap accept the truck intake and goodies or should i locate a mustang setup?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'm not sure if the MAF is callibrated, but it does come with the mustang A6L with the J3 Port. I also specified I need it for a 5 speed stick, and my kit was back ordered for several weeks. I haven't got my EEC tuned yet, trying to work a deal out with a tweecer before I do anything else. I know they are trying to unload their old kit on ebay. That has only one o2 sensor wire, no repinning, and no j3 port that some people may get confused with.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
oh...to add on here, what intake/plenum are we all running (for the converted trucks)? Does this swap accept the truck intake and goodies or should i locate a mustang setup?
General choices are to go with the Truck Style Twin Throttle Body Intake or the Car Style Single Throttle Body Intake. There are many existing threads on this.

Personally, I went with the Edelbrock Performer Truck Intake to exploit low end torque. Below are pics of both Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
It's the lower that doesn't flow either. Only thing that does is allow the use of a shorter intake setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts