Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, first day of sunshine after many days of rain. Perfect for four wheelin', but it looks like another part has died in service to making a muddy mess. The pitman arm is black from the oil coming out of the steering gear.

Is it worth it to try and re-seal this leaking steering gear or just buy a reman?

Also, if anyone has a lead on where to get that front pitman arm bushing please let me know. You can see from the photo this one is getting a little chewed up.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Replace the seal, its a 20$ part. All the Remanufacturers do is replace seals and maybe bearings. That "Bushing" is your tie rod, and the boot is whats beat up. New boots are less than $10. Unless the tie rod end is seized or worn you don't need a new one.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
Lucas power steering stop leak has kept mine from leaking for over 5 years now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to just replace the lower seal rather than replacing the whole gear box, save some dough, that kinda thing. Now that I've got everything back together it doesn't leak but it seems like there is more play in the steering wheel. I can turn the wheel about 5 degrees before there is any resistance. Using the buddy system I checked that none of the suspension or steering components as far up as the pitman arm are moving while the wheel is waging back and forth. I've verified that the rag joint cinch bolt is at 35 ft-lbs, the rubber is tight and with the plastic boot pulled back I can see that the output is tightly coupled to the input spline shaft on the steering gear. I can see the steering gear input shaft splines freely rotating back and forth the same 5 degrees as the wheel. So the play has to be inside the steering gear box. Right?

There's an adjustment screw with jam nut on top of the gear box (when mounted to the chassis). I've adjusted that 1/2 a turn at a time while wagging the wheel until it was as tight as it would go (turning the flathead screw CCW, as I recall). It does load the steering, making the wheel difficult to turn and so tight that it won't straighten out when coming out of a turn, but it hasn't done anything to get rid of the play in the wheel before the gears engage.

I've backed that adjustment screw to where it was after a short trip around the block and now I'm at my wit's end. I've heard tell that every Ford truck eventually gets sloppy steering. I could live with it, but it's driving me nuts. Do I have to just take my medicine, replace the steering gear and quit trying to be so cheap, or is there anything else I can do to tighten the steering wheel?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
sector shaft seal, like pfun said the rebuild kits are cheap, but if your bearing is bad and you've got play in the steering just get a remanned unit..I did that this weekend and the steering feels so much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts