Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an 84 bronco with 33's. trans, transfer case, front and rear diff are all rebuilt by previous owner. when i get on it i cant even spin the tires on wet pavement. is the trans? idk what to do. my dad thinks it's the trans. i think it's cuz of the big tires. stock rear end ratio. help me out guys i dont know what to check.

thanks
adam

·
Registered
14 Posts
im not really sure why your tryin to crash your truck...why would you want to spin tires on wet pavement?

Anyhow, i like keeping the stock ratio on my trucks with bigger tires...i like the low range...

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
what engine do u have?
traclok?
its probally the gearing

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
well first off it would be nice to know what motor you have...and trans???????

302 or 351 or I-6????

my 91 302 w/ 32's barely spins on wet pavement...which is part of the reason why im doing a 351w swap next weekend

if you have the 302. problem found

dc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it's a 351 carburated, i think, and with a stock trans. my dad is saying to me that the truck has no balls. ya know what i mean. it takes a while to get to like 35mph. i think it might be running rich?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You should probably start with a tune-up and get the carb adjusted by a professional, since thats never a bad idea anyways..A friend of mine has an '85 150 with the carbed 351 and C6 and can roast his 33" BFGs anytime he wants to, and my FI 351 & E4OD would spin 35s before I locked the rear diff (even before i regeared to 4.10s)...A 351 and either of those transmissions should be able to spin a 33. If you get the engine tuned up and it still don't have the power it should then look further back in the drive-train. I bet its just the motor needin' some lovin though.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
my 302 can spin wheels on dry pavement. Even with the top on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a early 80's bronco,351w,rebuilt tranny, c6,& factory gearing with the same problem,no balls, turns out it was the carb. it was a holley, that i replaced. not a ton more get up but a drastic improvement don't know if this will help. you said the tranny & rearend was rebuilt even with 33's it shouldn't be that weak that it takes awhile to get to 35 mph.I'd look into the carb.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
DcSkater602 said:
well first off it would be nice to know what motor you have...and trans???????

302 or 351 or I-6????

my 91 302 w/ 32's barely spins on wet pavement...which is part of the reason why im doing a 351w swap next weekend

if you have the 302. problem found

dc
BULL...my 302 will spin em on dry pavement with 33s...no problem. He has got a different issue if the truck is slow starting. I agree with the tune up. Gears will always be the culprit before lack of engine power.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
GTRider245 said:
BULL...my 302 will spin em on dry pavement with 33s...no problem.
Yea not saying a bronco with a 302 can't lay rubber but you are in a pickup, no weight in the back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with GTRider245 it's not a weak motor even if it is a 302, I have a 302 in my 89' "bronco" & i can roach the tires easy.I do only have 31's but any time you want to come over & swap out tires i'll be more than happy to lay down some rubber for you with my 302 & 33's.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
He might have 3.08 gears instead of the more common 3.55's

·
Registered
485 Posts
How old the engine and trans are is probably what it is. when my 300 six was stock and stock ratios i could spin easy on wet pavment, never tried dry. Now with some work and a fresh rebuilt drivetrain and engine with 3.70's its a little easy to do it anytime I really want to;)

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
my 90 can barely spin the tires on wet pavement with the 33's and stock gearing. But it can spin em good if enough water is on the ground.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i usually can only lose traction if im in the rain and making a turn. rarely in a straight line. never on dry pavement. i've got 31's, new jasper 351, rebuilt e40d trans.

i dont really see the point in a truck.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Ptack1 said:
my 90 can barely spin the tires on wet pavement with the 33's and stock gearing. But it can spin em good if enough water is on the ground.
Just a quick question for you Ptack, doesn't water make the ground wet?

I have 33s 4:11 posi rear end, I can spin em good in the rain. Dry pavement on the other hand, for the most part, I can only spin em when I got the wheel cranked.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
ToddACimer said:
He might have 3.08 gears instead of the more common 3.55's
:stupid

I couldn't turn over puny 32" on gravel from a stand still by stomping the gas. I thought this sucked then I seen the gearing. 3.07 Why the crap did a 4x4 come factory with 3.07 I will never know. I could power brake it on gravel and get them to spin but not from take off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's a brand new 351 just installed by the previous owner. i'm pretty sure the damb carb is effed up cuz it has some idling problems. what carb should i get guys. the truck already has hooker headers and flowmaster exhaust.

·
Registered
784 Posts
im sure those 3.08's or 3.07's or whatever it is are great on the highway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts