Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i fabricated a intake tube for my 96 351. and i wanted to put a cone filter at the end of the mass air flow sensor. but the only thing is the temperture sensor on air box it self. what would i do with that plug, if it is not plugged in then the check engine light will come on. so if u have any sollutions i would like to know!

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
Pep Boys (a ricers three best friends) sells some adapter plates, tubing and filters that can make it work at a resonable price. I was looking at some lost week for my comanche

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very interesting reading. Just like you said, K&N replacement filter with insulation tape around stock airbox= big difference! Has anybody else tried this? Results? I may have to give it a shot

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Steve83 said:
It works fine for me. :shrug Did anyone try pressing the *RESULTS* button & then any of the components on that page???
Worked here too. Nice link!

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
bryanrevans said:
insulation tape around the seams of stock assembly???And thats it???
Check the link out. Everything from the intake on the core support to the TB is wrapped.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
what did yall use for insulating material? that stuff they used seems a bit pricy to me. anyone tried peal and seal? lol it might be the anser to every problem on a bronco. lol

also my intake tubes have ribs on the outside so should i try to get the insulating stuf to fallow the ribs or just stretch over them? there should be pics on my supermotors if that sounds funny to yall.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Steve83 said:
I think the stuff I used was ~$3/15'. Spiral-wrap the flexible sections so they can still flex.

Where can the wrap be purchased? What is it called and who is it made by exactly? I already have the K&N replacement filter, if I just need to insulate the intake system for a noticable improvement, then count me in.

·
ASM
2,174 Posts
TreR1969 said:
Where can the wrap be purchased? What is it called and who is it made by exactly? I already have the K&N replacement filter, if I just need to insulate the intake system for a noticable improvement, then count me in.
Yes, where did you get it, and what is it called?

Steve- How much of a difference did it make for you? (MPG, Temp., etc.)

·
Banned
38,720 Posts
I don't remember the name or brand, but it's just foil-faced closed-cell (neoprene) foam weatherstrip tape 1/8" x 2". I got it at some regional chain hardware store, but I'm sure you can find it anywhere.

I didn't try to measure hp/mpg before or after, but there's a long steep interstate bridge in my hometown, and I was always VERY aware of my speed (or lack of it) when I crested it. Since I found the tape on the other side, I got to see my speed that day without, and then an hour or so later (basically the same conditions) with the tape, and I was holding ~5mph higher than before. I noticed an difference throughout the next couple of weeks over what it had been before, so I know there was a difference.

My K&N test was the same thing: over the bridge to buy it; back with it installed.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
After reading Project MPG I decided to give it a try. I used insulation instead of the tape. It's bubble wrap with an aluminum foil on both sides. Total cost was $17.00 for a 16"x25' roll of insulation and $7.00 for a roll of 2" aluminum tape. The pictures are links to more pictures of the insulating.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts