Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is not "ideal" but currently its what I have to do. Here's my question in order to make an extension cord for 240v that will plug into my dryer outlet what gauge wire should I use 10 or 8?

Cord will only have to reach 35 ft or so. I've been told as long as its less than 100 ft i don't have to worry about strain on the motor is this true?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have a 50ft extension cord for my 240V welder that I made out of a 10ga 120 extension cord. I have used it alot and never had a problem with it. The 10ga wire is good for the 30 amp that your plugging into.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
It would be sooooooo much cheaper to make an extension hose. You can even get poly line with the adapters for pipe fittings for 15 cents a foot if its just something you want to use temporary.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, I would just use a longer hose and add a mini water separator that you can clip to your belt (unless water for you isn't an issue). Much cheaper and less of a PITA.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be sooooooo much cheaper to make an extension hose. You can even get poly line with the adapters for pipe fittings for 15 cents a foot if its just something you want to use temporary.
Here's my problem: 240v access is for dryer inside the house, 40 year old flat roof house, wiring up another 240v receptacle would be a nightmare of epic proportions.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see why that means you can't use a longer hose.
I guess I don't understand. Have extension cord and longer air hose?

·
OMG its almost a
1,368 Posts
I think what Mike2 means is why don't you plug in the compressor as it sits now and just use a longer air hose to get where you need. My thinking is that your dryer outlet is probably way inside the house and its not feasible to get the compressor close to it to use the existing cord.

For the record I have a 90' 240v extension cord for my welder and its 6g wire. Designed for outdoor use, oil resistant, etc. The wire isn't cheap if you use the right stuff.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what Mike2 means is why don't you plug in the compressor as it sits now and just use a longer air hose to get where you need. My thinking is that your dryer outlet is probably way inside the house and its not feasible to get the compressor close to it to use the existing cord.

For the record I have a 90' 240v extension cord for my welder and its 6g wire. Designed for outdoor use, oil resistant, etc. The wire isn't cheap if you use the right stuff.
Very simple I have no 240 access where it sits.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Move the compressor in the house and run a longer hose to the outside. That's how I had mine. Helps cut down on the condensation in the lines as well since you're drawing from conditioned inside air.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
we have extension cords for the welders up at the barn.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
How many amps does it draw and how long of a cord do you want?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it done today. 10/2 solid wire. Was a little scary, but SOB it works!

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
Thats really good to know. Thank you for teling us.

:goodfinge
yup :rofl:

If you can do it for a welder why wouldnt you be able to do it for an air compressor?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts