Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a campbell hausfeld single stage oilless compressor, a cheap walmart 13 gallon kind that i bought new 15 years ago.

Today, trying to do brakes/struts on wifes car, and it wont build pressure.
Pulled the cover off, belt is in tact.
Piston bore has some scratches.

Removed filter, and put thumb over air inlet, turned pulley to run the piston.

Zero suction against my thumb. Spun pulley the other way, zero.

Should this be building suction at the inlet, or is there something i dont know about these?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worth taking the head off, or will it require a special gasket and isnt worth the trouble?

Reed like a two stroke?

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I have a campbell hausfeld single stage oilless compressor, a cheap walmart 13 gallon kind that i bought new 15 years ago.

Today, trying to do brakes/struts on wifes car, and it wont build pressure.
Pulled the cover off, belt is in tact.
Piston bore has some scratches.

Removed filter, and put thumb over air inlet, turned pulley to run the piston.

Zero suction against my thumb. Spun pulley the other way, zero.

Should this be building suction at the inlet, or is there something i dont know about these?
Yes it should. The piston/ cylinder is gone. Oilless means it uses a piston with a rubber seal, the seal WILL wear out over time. If the cylinder is scratched then the seal is gone. You can get a rebuild kid with a new cylinder and piston but it's really a judgement call on your part wether that's worth it. I did it on mine But it's a 33 gal Craftsman.

Mine started making metallic squeaking when it shut off and filling slowly then one day it just wouldn't build pressure.
I'm surprised you got 15 years out of it. It sounds like the reed valves in the head have either jammed open, or broken off.
:stupid
Worth taking the head off, or will it require a special gasket and isnt worth the trouble?

Reed like a two stroke?
See above. It's a judgement call. Sounds like you need a rebuild kit to fix it, decide if that's worth the cash to you. It was about 50$ for mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 6 compressors and they are the highest maint tool I own and I own a bunch of tools. 15 yrs is a long time for a throw away piece. IMO. I do rebuild em though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered cylinder and piston off ebay, kept the gaskets.

Mine has the metal flapper style vavles.

Put the new piston and cylinder in, has been working great now for 45 days!

Much much quieter, couldnt believe how loud it got there at the end.

Thank you for the encouragement, it wasnt hard to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts