Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Let me start by saying that the temp here today was 85 and very humid. With that said, let me get to my problem. I have replaced EVERYTHING in my AC system with the exception of the evaporator. I proceede to charge the system today by pulling a vacuum of -30 which the system held for 2.5 hours without the pump being connected so no leaks. I proceeded to add refrigerant and this is where it all went south. The best I can do is get 40 on the low side but 350 on the high side which is way too high and 65 degrees at the vent. I was only able to get around 18oz in the system and it calls for 38oz. I did notice that the line coming out of the evaporator would freeze at the orifice tube location but not after it going to the condenser. Do I have a blockage or incorrect orifice tube? Help, I don't want to take it to a garage if I don't have to. Oh, this is on my 95 with a 5.8.

Scott

·
Registered
1996 EB 5.8L, E4OD, 2.5" RC Lift, 33" tires, 3.55 gears
108 Posts
I’m not an AC expert but, like you, I replaced the entire AC system in my 96. If you are freezing up near the orifice tube with excessive high pressure, you probably have a blockage at the location of the freezing. The orifice tube would be my first guess as well or the evaporator since that was the one component you didn’t replace (less likely though). Are you sure you got the right orifice tube and installed it in the correct direction?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'd recommend drain it back out (hopefully you can find someone to recover the freon to keep everything tidy and legal), and separate each line and coil, and blow everything except the compressor out. You will be able to pull the orifice at that point and see if it has stopped up from some trash that might have been missed when you flushed the coils (since I presume you did and just didn't mention it in the post).

I had a similar issue after flushing the coils and new lines/compressor for my dad's 93 that I am borrowing, and somehow there was still some trash in the system. After having blown it out (and forced to replace evap coil due to extremely stubborn orifice tubes getting stuck with creative ways of getting them out). Also for the orifice tube, should be the red one, which should pull up correctly at most autoparts stores (93 at Advance lists the blue one but 94 starts listing the r134a orifice). I still have some issues, as apparently I must have messed up an O-ring on the line to the evap coil after going into it 3 times, so waiting on a buddy to get me a 30lb drum since I am tired of dealing with having to run and buy the small cans (technically I do have EPA card for commercial/residential, but he still works in HVAC so figured I would just have him get a drum for a decent price) before getting mine handled for hopefully the last time, as I have to drive an hour to my dad's shop for use of his tools.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I drained everything and started at the orifice connection and found that it had blown the top off for some reason. I assume this was my blockage but to be safe I flushed the system, installed new orifice tube and new o-rings and currently pulling a vacuum. We will see what happens when I charge the system again. Any ideas as to why the top part above the o-rings blew off on the orifice tube?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts