Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to eliminate my air conditioner in my 89 EFI XLT. Have you guys done it how hard was it, what can I remove. Pictures and a write up would help also thanx.

·
Banned
38,721 Posts
Why? Are you talking about all the stuff under the dash, all the stuff on the firewall, the condenser in front of the radiator, or the compressor off the engine???

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
i did because i had the old R-12 and it didnt work any way im pulling the cannister and condinser in front of the radiator tomarrow, i mean who needs A/C when you can take the top and doors off thats enough cool air for me, also to awnser your question not hard at all i could have done it in an hour but i called into work, i was told i could remove every thing so i am tomarrow morning, i was also told to plug the hole after the canister.

just my $0.02

sean

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
LaTorre said:
I would like to eliminate my air conditioner in my 89 EFI XLT. Have you guys done it how hard was it, what can I remove. Pictures and a write up would help also thanx.

I did. I have no writeup on it. I removed the front condensor, lines, etc. and AC pump, which was replaced with a dead pulley. Do realize though that this also eliminates your good defrost.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,151 Posts
I just removed my AC crap too a week or so ago. I pretty much had to to change my thermastat.. Doing both took me a full day though, when it was -18 degrees farenheit. :thumbup All i really did was take the compressor and cannister off though, i left the condenser thing by the radiator for now. Way too cold to deal with that lol. It makes everything sooo much easier to work on though, and gives back alot of space. Also saves alot of weight. Just stand clear when you undo the nuts, because the purple R-12 stuff flies out of there. By the way, Bronco Boi, should i plug the hole to the cannister too?? I don't know why I should but maybe i might get dirt and stuff down in my vent system or something? Also will i have lost defrost?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If ther is any R 12 left in the system you should take it to a shop that can reclaim it. They should do it for FREE since R 12 is worth like 90.00 per lb. or something like that. I just converted mine to R 134a seems to work nicely so far. It was R 12 but the PO replaced the compressor. It has a sticker on it that says it is good for R 12 and R 134a.

·
Administrator
22,824 Posts
releasing freon in to the air in cali is illegal...dont understand why you would remove a/c...but like stated above take it to any a/c shop and I am sure they would evac it for free...r 12 is like a $120.00 a pound out here.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Yes, as I mentioned, no more defrost. Your defrost setting will still work in terms of directing air where you want it, but since you will no longer have the AC pump, which circulates the freon and dries the air over it (more or less), your actual defrost will be much less effective. I use a gel applied to my windows in winter, works perfect.

I lost my AC since I never used in summertime....that's what the soft top is for. As Dave mentions, you can then use the space where the compressor was for OBA.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
LaTorre said:
I pulled all mine, except for the compressor. No pictures or write up, but just pull the compressor, condensor and accumulator, then the hoses, and you are pretty much done. Disassembly is always more fun that assembly. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts