Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My carpet on the passenger side is getting wet from the ac condensation not draining properly. No water comes out the the drain tube at all. Some drips out from around the evaporator case in the engine compartment and some leaks to the interior of the fire wall and wets the carpet from the underside.

I have already tried poking a wire and long zip tie in the drain tube to see if it was clogged. No luck!!! Then I blew air from the compressor in the drain tube. NO luck!!!

I have to take this thing apart to see what is blocking the drainage, and my question is what/where does it need to come apart? Do I need to come at it from the interior side (heater core area) or come at it from the engine bay side (evaporator area)?

Vehicle is an 89 Bronco.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Take out your blower motor, and make sure the HVAC box is clear of debris, particularly in front of the evaporator.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I didn't think of just taking the motor loose/off.
Tyler

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
No problem. :thumbup

We usually hear of problems regarding a burning smell, or low airflow, in the fall and winter. The source is frequently leaves and twigs finding their way into the HVAC box and piling up, sometimes right on the blower motor resistor assembly.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took the motor off and only found very minimal leaves and dog hair. Not enough to concern me. Next I take the cover off the evaporator and it was all clean on that side. Then I proceed to the interior and take the cover off the heater core. Clean also!!!!

I'm starting to think there may be a hair line crack somewhere in the case. I put it all back together for now. I'll let you know how it goes.

I didn't put the the foil over the evap. cover. You see any issues with that?

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Sigepblue,
That did the trick. We've had a bunch of hot, humid, weather which creates lots of condensation and all is dry inside. It's hard to believe such a small amount of trash was causing the problem.
Thanks for the help,
Tyler

1 - 6 of 6 Posts