Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the second time this happened. i open the gas cap and a lot of air blows out. i havnt gone up any mount or hills. please help. what are the reasons it will do this

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
does the pump keeping shutiing off when you try and fill the tank? if soo, you may have a blocked or kinked vent line

·
Registered
248 Posts
bigredkacy said:
this is the second time this happened. i open the gas cap and a lot of air blows out. i havnt gone up any mount or hills. please help. what are the reasons it will do this
It might help if you gave us some info on the vehicle your talking about.
Is it carbed or EFI?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, its a 81, 351 carbed. the tank is 1/2 full both times. were is the vent? will it make the truck run like anything different? how can i deal with the issue?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
You sure it was blowing out and not sucking in?
That's what I want to know.
There should be a charcoal canister somewhere up front(don't remember where on the carb'd trucks) The gas tank vents through the canister. Could also be a clogged up canister, but more likely a kinked line.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Steve83 said:
I'd check the vapor valve, vapor line, & its connection at the charcoal canister (it might be loose, and wasps love to pack them with mud), but the fix is probably just to replace the gas cap.

Ditto on Steve's response. I had that problem before restoring my evaporative emissions system. The vent was capped off where the carbon vapor tank was supposed to be. It will either suck or blow depending on the outside air temp. If it is hot enough out, the fuel expands and pressurizes the tank causing a blow when the cap is opened. If it is not too warm, pulling fuel out of the tank may cause it to develop low pressure in the tank causing a suck when the cap is opened.

Good luck,

:thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts