Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about deleting air intake box and just put filters at the end of hoses. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Actually, I should point out that the stock filter is actually a cold air kit and is SUPERIOR to the K&N configuration. They're overpriced and if you'll look closely, its just a general kit. There's a reason why the F-series and Bronco doesn't have its own kit.

Now before you go harping on my own air intake, I modified mine so I could fit an auxiliary battery in. Not to improve air flow and what I went with was still superior to K&N and cost about $50, including the reusable filters.

Short answer, no, you do not need to replace your stock filter and air intake.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about deleting my tires and just driving on the rims. Opinions?
It is nothing like driving without tires... People delete stock air intake and replace all the time...and I was wanting to know what is the better rout to go. Which I got thanks for the serious opinion.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
You already have the best option. Seriously. It pulls in air from behind the grille or under the front off the hood. How much more "cold" air can you get than that?!

Want to make it just that little bit better? Use insulation/heat reflective tape to wrap the tubes, and use a drop in K&N filter. Clean the throttle body ports/butterflies while you're in there. Take out the intake air temp (aka air charge) sensor. Bet you it takes a solid can of throttle body cleaner to get all the carbon off it.

Then use the $200 you saved by NOT buying the k&n kit on other things, like a good tune up if it needs it or some new rubber vacuum lines. Hell replacing the old colored, broken, dried up lines that ford installed will probably make more of a difference than you realize for idle and performance.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
You already have the best option. Seriously. It pulls in air from behind the grille or under the front off the hood. How much more "cold" air can you get than that?!

Want to make it just that little bit better? Use insulation/heat reflective tape to wrap the tubes, and use a drop in K&N filter. Clean the throttle body ports/butterflies while you're in there. Take out the intake air temp (aka air charge) sensor. Bet you it takes a solid can of throttle body cleaner to get all the carbon off it.

Then use the $200 you saved by NOT buying the k&n kit on other things, like a good tune up if it needs it or some new rubber vacuum lines. Hell replacing the old colored, broken, dried up lines that ford installed will probably make more of a difference than you realize for idle and performance.
:stupid

Right on the money.

·
Super Moderator
26,078 Posts
I'm thinking about deleting air intake box and just put filters at the end of hoses. Opinions?
yo G, as AFBronco and others advised; keep stock box and tubing in-place and consider;

Air Tube & Box Insulation pics in a 94 5.0; Ken used Reflectix Insulation, avail @ Lowes. etc. ST16025 - 16" x 25 feet. miesk5 Note; Ken installed the K&N® & removed da cold air intake tube that runs to the top of the radiator; but he could have installed the intake tube section later.
Source: by Ken B (Kenny's 94) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/9319/29460

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
People watch Honey BooBoo & Dancing with the Stars all the time. What people do all the time is not proof that it makes the slightest bit of sense.
:popc1:

And not one of the Broncos I've ever owned had its stock air intake deleted, unless it was immediately replaced by a BETTER stock intake. So there are a few times that what you described didn't happen. ;)
TRUE DAT:rockon

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1 on stock intake. It is a good design. The only change I made is swapping the I-6snorkel onto mine, since I have a stainless grill and it hammers air straight into the funnel.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
How is this tech?

I'll drive without tires?

Why not add a search Nazi as well?

Search! This has been covered a million times and we don't have time to waste on you. Don't go thinking this is a help forum, or social like for stupid questions. JK

Some vehicles do benefit from a cool air set-up when the stock stuff is restrictive or pulling hot air from under the engine compartment.

Jeez, You got some good answers here, aside from those whom this simple question is beneath. I'd do a K&N drop-in and call it good, but you got to keep the filter clean and lightly oiled. Too much oil can be sucked in and dirty the MAF meter filament. that screws-up performance.. There is no need or advantage for a larger, hot air, filter. A built-up engine could require more air, then a large cone filter in a cool air box would be best. The stock set-up is good, not too restrictive, so there is no performance improvement or little to be had there.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Search! This has been covered a million times and we don't have time to waste on you. Don't go thinking this is a help forum, or social like for stupid questions. JK
It's not that the question was asked, it's the forum it was asked in.

And I did not move it. Maybe it is time for a new cold air intake thread in the Tech section. But, and perhaps I am Jaded, I would think it more a "Noob Tech" question.

So, anybody got any new cold air intake ideas that can make this thread add to the tech section? (Please include part number and/or Photos for clarity)

Thank you all for your patience and help :thumbup :beer

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine had a k&n intake in it when I bought it. I hated the thing. I recently found a stock air box (rare here) and put it in. The truck runs way better, it even got rid of a cold surge that I had going on.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Mine had a k&n intake in it when I bought it. I hated the thing. I recently found a stock air box (rare here) and put it in. The truck runs way better, it even got rid of a cold surge that I had going on.
mine came with the K&N as well. however, the PO also gave me the stock intake. so i swapped in the stock box asap and sold the K&N. unfortunately, there's not much of a market for it. after shipping, ebay, and paypal fees, i cleared less than $50.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there a "dry" inn style filter available? On my last 96 I fried the mas pretty quickly by using too much oil. Thought I went pretty light but guess not.

·
Super Moderator
26,078 Posts
Is there a "dry" inn style filter available? On my last 96 I fried the mas pretty quickly by using too much oil. Thought I went pretty light but guess not.
Yo Red,
Others have stated similar "over-oil" issues in past although they have followed K&N instructions.
K&N then posted •Over-oiling on their web site;
"When servicing a K&N filter, take care not to over-oil the element. Besides impeding air flow, excess oil can migrate into the intake system where it can coat electronic sensors, which some OEM’s claim may hinder the sensors’ operation and result in a repair that will not be covered under warranty. Although K&N disagrees with such claims, as explained in more detail on this web site, in order to avoid a dispute with an OEM over the denial of a warranty claim, we suggest that you be careful not to over-oil your K&N air filter. Never saturate the filter. If oil drips from the filter, wash it and start over. Use only K&N oil. For example, an E-1500 filter has 92.4-inches of surface area requiring 1.707 fluid ounces of oil. Follow oiling instructions included with your filter or refer to the instructions listed here."

It's same as "Favorite Beer" in a way; but I tend to stay with Genuine Ford Motorcraft parts.
But for Air Filter for our 96, Purolator PureONE Air Filters; Part No. A24378

I also try to get the Ford Motorcraft parts via AMAZON; they are VG at delvy and esp pricing; I bought a $150.00 Motorcraft DPFE Sensor for $50.00 with free shipping and no sales tax; Local dealers wanted 150.0 + sales tax
same price & discount for an Idle Air Control (IAC)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the tip about amazon, I will have to add them to my list of possible parts sources. My local dealer seams to be pricier than I was thinking, finding not all dealer parts prices are the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts