Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running air raid throttle body spacer and or changed out there throttle body on a 1992 with the 5.8? Im starting to tinker on my motor and want to know if they are worththe money.I just ordered march underdrive pullies,and msd 6a ignition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got one on an 94' w/5.8
All I can say is that it changed
the way air sounds at about 2500-3500 RPMs:madder
I pay 96 bones on ebay for it :thumbup

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
1) Theres a lot of shit you can buy with your hard earned money that will do little or nothing.
2) Invest in some headers, hiflow cat and a Flowmaster, that will do more than a spacer anyway.
3) Get a hiflow air cleaner, if you like dirt in your intake then stick with K&N, or do some research, theres some good options out there.
4) Make sure you say you like yams, Its required here.

·
Registered
636 Posts
TB spacers are waste of money. Bigger TB is much better, but you'll reap the benefits better if the intake Manifold is bigger, too. Definitely do the exhaust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I LOVE YAMS . I already have a 3" exhaust cat back ,cold air intake,jet performance chip,jet performacne tranny commander,ordered jba headers last week,and was looking at the mac throttle bodies yesterday and the throttle body spacers.The shop of course swore by them.On my last bronco i ran underdrive pullies and loved them i think they are worth it,just dont run the alt. pulley

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
LiftedHorse said:
On my last bronco i ran underdrive pullies and loved them i think they are worth it,just dont run the alt. pulley
Or the P.S. Pump pully, or the water pump pully, or the crank pully.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why dont you likethem? I loved them i my last bronco.It doesnt affect the performance of any of the items they are mounted on.The only fall back i had was the alt runs to low unless rpms are up.It drops the rpms overall like 500 at idle which is better for the motor.I guess each is his own when its come to aftermarket.:twak

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Becouse they reduce charging ability, reduce cooling ability and reduce power steering strength. Not good when your trapped sideways in a rut or playing on the rocks on a hot july day.

Heck, it's not even good for sitting in trafic with the A/C on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats why i said no alt. pulley,and i never had a problem with cooling or steering although my last bronco was but for the desert,so i guess crawing around may affect i always had the motor reved up or hauling ass cause youll bury in the sand if not.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Jboileau said:
I can't say I'm care for YAMS...
oh yeah, "TB spacers are gay" statement hurt
my soul:whiteflag
It's not a matter of getting hurt it's a matter of understanding that the throttle body spacer did nothing for you except give you a false sense of oh this is cool and worth my money. I've never seen any real data that shows there was any difference between having or not having the spacer except that you waste $XX.XX

·
Registered
532 Posts
they are shit. before I was FSB.com savy I bought one from Ebay and instaled it. Didn't notice a thing. I also have the K&N kit and a flowmaster. I noticed the most with the K&N

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have noticed a difference with the exhaust and k&n but the biggest difference was the jet chips for both the tranny and the cpu chip.I was just curious didnt mean to get everyone wound up.I like the pullies,have never overheated or even got hot although i did notice the alt. pully drop my charging so i took it off.Now the second part which nobody answered is the bbk or mac throttle body and bigger fuel injectors.I assume that if you put on all the bolt on pieces ava.that the throttle body spacer would increase performance but by itself does nothing. I looked at jet performace graphs and with each add on you could see increase even the spacer.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Throttle body spacers do nothing, no matter what. There is absolutly nothing gainmed by making the plenum longer. If you are absolutly stuck on spacers then get a phenolic spacer. Phenolic spacers increase runner length wich does increase touqe. They also help insulate the upper manifold from engine heat.

You cant just swap in larger injectors.

The bigest restriction on a 5.8 is the intake, swapping a bigger TB on the factory intake is useless.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spoke with jba this morning he said you get a significant increase both noticable and dyno shown if you put a bigger throttle body,not spacer,he said injectorscan stay stock up to the point hat you put a super charger on.It sounds like you are anti any performance build up.Why is that ?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
LiftedHorse said:
Spoke with jba this morning he said you get a significant increase both noticable and dyno shown if you put a bigger throttle body,?
Not with the factory 5.8 intake on a stock engine it wont.

LiftedHorse said:
he said injectorscan stay stock up to the point hat you put a super charger on.?
Injector size is determined by horspower. You can easily get to the point that you need larger injectors without a super charger. But again, you cant just drop them in, it's more complicated than that.

LiftedHorse said:
It sounds like you are anti any performance build up.Why is that ?
Im not anti performance in any way. But I know what doesn't work, what does work and what has to be done to make it all work together.

Take for example the 351w I'm building for my Bronco.

Hours and hours of reserch and thousonds of $$$ where involved in getting it to this point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts