Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a job as a Trailer Mechanic/Fabricator with Lake City International.
They are going to sponsor me at school and hopefully pay my tuition.
However, I need to get air tools. I have been using a co-workers for the last 4 weeks and that sucks.
About 95% of my other tools are Craftsman and Craftsman Professional. I would like to stick to that brand if possible. Their prices are a lot cheaper than the tool truck, and I havent had any bad luck using Craftsman so far, as far as air tools go, never used them and I dont want something that just break every time I use it either.

I would like to stay away from Snap-On if possible, too pricey and they Snap On rep we have is a dick.

The only other option I have been rolling around in my head is Cornwell. Our rep is pretty cool , and I have already bought a few things from him. (Tool chest, gloves, glasses, knives, chair, etc.)

I will be needing
3/8" Air drill
1/2" Air drill
3/8" ratchet
3/8" impact
1/2" impact
Heavy Duty Air hammer
Grinders (Probably need two or three something that can take grinder wheels, cut off wheels, and saw blades).

That should cover it. There are others that we use daily but the shop supplies those. (Air pop riveter, 3/4" Impact, 1" Impact (Terminator style), Air sheers, etc.)

So if you have experience please post up.

Thanks

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
My favorite air tool brands are Chicago Pneumatic and Mac. CP is hands down the best IMO. Dotco makes good die grinders, but that's the only prodict of theirs I've used.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
My Snap-On air tools are the best I've ever used, and if properly maintained will last a long, long time. All of my friends come over to my house to use them....

The Snap-On composite impact is a MUST-HAVE if you're going to be using it all day. Your arms will thank you....

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
peteyg said:
My Snap-On air tools are the best I've ever used, and if properly maintained will last a long, long time. All of my friends come over to my house to use them....

The Snap-On composite impact is a MUST-HAVE if you're going to be using it all day. Your arms will thank you....
I'd have to agree Snap-on makes really nice air tools

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
IR composite for your 3/8 and 1/2 guns
3/8

1/2

snap-on 1/4 ratchet....Its like 300bones but worth the cash!!!

IR 3/8 ratchet

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp/item/3037

for everything else like your drill and angle grinders you can go with either craftsman or IR. Dont need to spend a ton of money on it since you proabably wont use them like the others. If your going to use an air hammer alot buy a good one from either IR or snapon, mac makes a nice one too. AS with anything if you plan to use it alot spend a little more money. The tools I listed are what I use everyday professonally and they have yet to let me down.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use Snap-On air tools,because he is the only one that comes bye my shop during my work days.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
I have several brand and have been pleased with them.

I have

Matco 90* Die grinder
Cornwell 1/2" impact ( this is an IR impact with another name on it )
Mac 3/8" impact
IR 3/8" Air rachet
Craftsman 1/4" Air Rachet ( Love this little guy but I am not a big fan of craftsman air tools )

These do more than good for my weekend wrenching...:thumbup

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have
snap-on 3/8 ratchet - exellent
ir 3/8 ratchet the composit one - very fast but broke within 1 1/2years
Chicago pnematic 3/8 ratchet - slow not enough power for everyday use
old snap-on 1/4 ratchet - very old works good for age just slow
Craftsman 1/2 impact - old solid metal one good for at home put not enough power for work
Cornwell 1/2 impact (made by ir)- again an old metal one plenty of power and speed
MAC 1/2 drill - works good except when i forget my drill bits are dull
Snap-on long barrel air hammer - love it
CP 90 deg die grinder - flew apart while cutting hole in car door after 6 months
Snap-on 90 deg die grinder - phenolic handle no more cold hands, spendy but i use it alot and it hasen't had even a hint of trouble

I would go with ir titanium's for 3/8 and 1/2 impact - lots of power and light
personally i'd stick with ir or a tool truck brand (snap-on, matco, corwell, mac) avoid cheep off brand air tools if you plan on making a living with them i have about $25,000 in tools at work and another $8000 at home most have never let me down and other than one air ratchet (the ir) i've never had trouble getting anything warrantied. although that is the only air tool i've ever tried to warrenty those tools keep the pizza and beer in the fridge and gas in a bronco you don't want them to fail.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
IR makes a lot of the Matco, Mac, Snap-on, Cornwell, Craftsman, etc air tools. They just basically get renamed.

I have Matco composite 3/8 and 1/2in impacts and love them. I use the 3/8ths for just about every possible thing. I've had the 1/2in gun for about 6 years or more now, never had it apart once, use it everyday, and rarely oil it (though I've been getting better with remembering to do that) and it still goes strong. A lot of guys borrow mine to get off stuff theirs can't. My air ratchets are IR. My 3/8th one is composite and the 1/4in is the standard metal one. I don't use them too often cause I'm just not a fan of air ratchets, but they are strong and have worked great for the 6 years I've owned them. I've thanked my 3/8s one for many busted knuckles. I have a Cornwell Air hammer. Only have had it for a year or so. It's very powerfull and I've had zero problems with it. My 90* die grinder is Matco composite. Also have had it for 6+ years or so. It gets used a lot, get very dirty, and isn't very well maintained yet it works great. My cut-off wheel is Snap-on composite. I've had it probably 5 years. No complaints. I also have a Snap-on 1/2in drill. That ****er will break your wrist like a toothpick.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
IR for anything heavy. Dotco for small die grinders 1/8 and 1/4".

·
Registered
604 Posts
ive used many brands of air tools except for matco....

ive never had a Chicago Pnuematic let me down yet an was the first impact gun i ever bought (about 10yrs) an i still have it......but i dont use it any more, well once and awhile to keep it oiled. I have a Craftsman Air ratchet that i love that my girlfriend bought me an i havent had a prob with it since...alot of power too. I've had an IR but that died after a year but most guys i know that have them say nothing but good stuff. Mac tools guns an some air rachets are IR, i dont buy them much. Snap-on air tools are just gay all together, they loose or have no power what so ever and are way over priced an break to quickly. All the other techs at my job have different snap on guns that ive used an dont like at all. Iit may just be me, but we have a guy at my job that has like $30,000 in just snap-on tools an hates theyre air guns.

not to mention our snap-on rep is a total a$$ an i havent met one yet that wasnt a scumbag so that may have something to do with it also.

if i had to suggest brands id say chicago Pneumatic an Ingersoll Rand for overall quality not to mention price.

what i have
3- 1/2 impacts- Chicago Pneumatic Turbo , basic CP, Mac
3/8 impact-Chicago Pneumatic
2-3/8 air rachets-craftsman anniversary edition, Mac tools
1/4 air rachet-Mac Tools
Air drill, die grinder, 90' die grinder, Reversible cut off tool, long barrel air hammer- Mac Tools

Oh an congrats on the sponsership an your new job, Good Luck!

Gabe

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
CP for most things and Viking for body tools. The IR stuff is now made in SE asia. The last IR tool, which was an air hammer, the trigger broke on first use.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts