Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know too much about air tools, only really ever used my buddys in his shop and at school, which meant they naturally have the right tools for the job and all the fancy talk

so my question being, im looking at a air gun off harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

it says working pressure 90psi

my OBA is set to cut off at 125psi

so is it potentially damaging to run a 90psi air tool off a 125psi air compressor?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
you can run it at 125psi and be ok. I have heard it will shorten the life, but it has not affected any of my multiple air tools. I use them at 120psi everyday in a professional setting.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if u dont have a big tank the compressor will be working more.
got a 3 gallon portable tank and plug in compressor with 20 gallon tank at home. so I'm set on air supply.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can run it at 125psi and be ok. I have heard it will shorten the life, but it has not affected any of my multiple air tools. I use them at 120psi everyday in a professional setting.
thank you sir.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The thing I always look at when buying air tools is what kind of CFM's the tool takes. As long as its equal to or less than your compressor you'll be fine. I also run my tools a little higher than recommended psi and it hasn't hurt them.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already put in my order for the 1/2 inch snapon set. our snapon Rep called their maintanence department and said it would be fine and they'd warranty it no questions asked if anything happens anyways. but he did comment on buy a regulator that would connect to the tool or something

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I already put in my order for the 1/2 inch snapon set. our snapon Rep called their maintanence department and said it would be fine and they'd warranty it no questions asked if anything happens anyways. but he did comment on buy a regulator that would connect to the tool or something
put it in line in your OBA line. I have a regulator to bring my pressure down to 90psi, my tank under the truck is at like 145 or something. regulator is adjustable as well in case I did want to change the output pressure. They are not expensive either. Let me go find a pic.....

That simple.

Keep in mind, most tools will give you a safe working pressure, say 80psi as min. to work properly and 110psi max before you might start damaging seals and what not. You should regulate your pressure to proper working pressure, and also oil the tool per manuf. recommendations.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome. thanks for the regulator info man. constantly pumping the York only puts out 90 but it'll build pressure in lines/tank to 125. might find a way to build it into the dash or something.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Severe waste of money, no matter what you intend to use it for. The word "gutless" would be a compliment for that hunk of junk.
Dave's right. No balls. I have one, had to go buy a Craftsman 580 ft/lb so I could change my harmonic balancer. The crank bolt just looked at that CH and laughed.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
awesome. thanks for the regulator info man. constantly pumping the York only puts out 90 but it'll build pressure in lines/tank to 125. might find a way to build it into the dash or something.
I've got a 4gal tank under the truck as well. As mentioned the tank helps, not so much with big tires, but running certain airtools having that capacity is awesome.

I struggled with where to put the regulator. Didn't want it up front in the way since I don't use it that often. But wanted to be able to get to it. That regulator is from home depot and was like $18. The hose after the regulator just ends after about 5' with a female quick connect. So then you are all ready for whatever tool you want to use. The regulator of course is adjustable....so whatever output you want, I think up to 125psi, though mine is just set to where most tools seem to be built to handle, the 90psi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My guns have been run on 175psi for years with only one gun blowing out a gaskets due to improper installation when it was made. Since then it has been fine. My oldest is almost 30 years old now and in my dads possession and still works just fine.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Just like any thing else, you get what you pay for. My Mac impact gun was $280 I think, but that is for work use. It's meant to run all day. I've broken most everything that I have bought from harbour freight over the years. It's ok for light use. Maybe their weak guns won't break their weak sockets. don't get me wrong, I got a cherry picker and an engine stand from them. Not much can go wrong there. For trail tools they might be ok. I hate weak a$$ guns though!

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
I wouldn't get that HF gun at that price. Lowes has a nice IR gun for around the same price that has better specs, and will last a lot longer. Like what people said, your gun is only as good as what you air compressor is putting into it. I have a snapon mg735, and its never let me down. Ive seen it break 7/8'' freightliner u-bolts in half. I've brought it home and its out ran a 12 gallon tank several times trying to break the crank bolt loose on my 460.... I guess its whatever you can afford in the end, I do shop at HF and there are some things that i tend to stay away from there.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasnt aware I ordered a grinder....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts