Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Bassani Headers and y-pipe about 2 years ago and replaced the blue air pump hose(thermactor air pump system) that Bassani gives you with a high temp silicone one(not shown in picture)

I did this because the moisture was causing the other hose to crimple up and cause the truck to run super rich and have no power.

However, living near the coast I can tell that the next one up the vacuum line (near the engine) has buckled up itself causing the truck to do the same thing again. My question is is how are you supposed to access this hose futher up on the vacuum tube. It seems nearly impossible to get to from both under and above the truck. I have included pictures to make it easier to see.

You can see the bottom hose running off of the y-pipe but there is another that is futher up.

It seems like the only way to access it is to pull the inner fender off and try to squeeze through there.

Please give me yall's feedback as I have to drive this vehicle back home from college soon.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,878 Posts
pull the upper intake off and climb ontop of the motor. there should be a check valve back there also.

·
Super Moderator
26,952 Posts
yo,
You have to climb up onto the engine to feel the Diverter Valve or remove the Intake Manifold. I'd rather climb up using plans, ala a scaffolding type set-up; maybe remove hood depending on circumstances such as me now, w/ backache..."
Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at FSB

by Steve83

http://www.pciinc.com/
PCI, Inc. - Bronco/Ford truck; emission parts & accessories; air check valves, stainless steel flex tubes for DIY EGR tubes, catalytic converter tubes, EGR tubes, etc.; w/Ford part numbers; exhaust hangers, etc. ...
GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE; Sells Direct or through Parts Stores

·
Registered
31 Posts
hows that y pipe? ive already done headers and have been looking for a bassani y pipe with cat but the only ones i can find around where i live are like 400+. was it worth it?

·
7,878 Posts
the bassani unit is nice but way overpriced. have a shop build you a mandrel bent 2.5" Y with 3" out running into a hiflow cat. the right shop should be able to do that and the rest of the system for less then that bassani y pipe costs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the bassani unit is nice but way overpriced. have a shop build you a mandrel bent 2.5" Y with 3" out running into a hiflow cat. the right shop should be able to do that and the rest of the system for less then that bassani y pipe costs.
was actually just on the phone with a shop asking that, but the ones a called say i have to have 2 cats cause thats what it came stock with... anyother way is illegal.... i just love California

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I replaced that hose, the other one was in bad shape, that was way back in there and I'm still getting the same problem. It will run fine for about forty five sec then surge upon idle to the point where it will almost die. Check engine light will come on and the exhaust is very smoky. I can smell it running very rich. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the thermactor air pump system? It is very hard for me to tell what is actually back there. Is there anything else that I should be checking for?

·
7,878 Posts
have you pulled codes??

·
Registered
263 Posts
was actually just on the phone with a shop asking that, but the ones a called say i have to have 2 cats cause thats what it came stock with... anyother way is illegal.... i just love California
Your problem is solved, because the Bassani Headers and y-pipe are not legal in California. But, the original suggestion is still valid. Find headers with a Carb EO# and have a muffler shot build you a mandrel bent Y-pipe. It will be cheaper and work as good as the Bassani.

The first cat that is allowed in California has two 2" input tubes. So your y-pipe needs to step down from the 2.5" collector on most authorized headers to the 2" inlets on the first cat. Then you can run 2.5" pipe to the 2nd cat. And, after the 2nd cat you can run any size pipe or muffler and tailpipe you want. Although 2.5" should be best for higher torque on 300hp and less engines.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update, I pulled off the tube with the exhaust check valve and replaced it. It is supposed to be a one way valve that doesn't let exhaust fumes come back up. I tested by unhooking it from the air system and felt that it was leaking in the wrong direction. I've replaced it and my problem has not returned yet. We will see. I'll keep y'all updated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts