Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my TPS and when I had my throttle body off to change it I remembered LMC sold a throttle body spacer that advertises that it gets you better MPG and more power. I really doubt more power but maybe better MPG. I searched and came up with a really old thread that didnt specifically mention the one LMC sells but their was no general consensous on if it was worth the $100 or not either. Has anyone used one of these before?

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82589

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
useless, spend it on a tank of gas instead

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could fill up for $100..:lolup

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
I wish I could fill up for $100..:lolup
minivan im driving now while my bko is down i get to fill up for 50 :goodfinge but damnit it feels like being neutered

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I have 2 bronco's, when one breaks I drive the other. I just cant bring myself to drive a car a minivan. lol

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
416 Posts
I have the Airraid on mine and all it did was make the fuel linkage sticky. I did not see, feel, hear any benefits. The red aluminum spacer adds a little bling to the engine compartment...but that is it.
Save your money. Just apply the money to a tune up.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
what they all said, save yourself the money.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I've got one on my Jeep TJ, and it gave it a little more mid range power for some reason, while freeing up the restrictive "U" area at the throttle body/intake manifold junction. I got a little better gas mileage too. Too bad I can't swap it onto my Bronco to see if it will do anything.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
dave i want to see dyno data of before and after.......

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's why I have 2 bronco's, when one breaks I drive the other. I just cant bring myself to drive a car a minivan. lol
:lolup #*^!ing smart!
EDIT: Please dont fall victim to those stupid companies making these pieces of garbage. Carb spacers worked, they are just trying to ride that old wave still... And ppl believe it. But there are NO gains with these damn things!

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I've never really heard of anyone who gets any improvement from these throttle body spacers. I'm not even convinced that Cold Air Intakes really do anything more than make you engine sound like it's got more power. One of the first things I did to my Ram after I bought it was buy and install a CAI. Prior to installing it, I was averaging about 10-11mpg. After I installed it, I was getting 10-11mpg. It sounded alot louder but the pickup wasn't any better than with the OEM intake. I was doing tests before and after the intake swap with different gas stations to see if the gas made a difference in MPG's also so I can really say I wasn't driving any harder than I did before the swap either. Most people say the improvements are lost due to a change in driving habits after a CAI install. I can say that didn't happen with me. I put the OEM intake back on and still, my MPG's have not changed. Same can be said for the high flow air filters compared to the disposable paper elements. All I've noticed is the maintenance required on the reusable filter compared to throwing away the old one and replacing with a new one.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
my 99 f150 had 1 with the screw design, is was awesome, would make a whistle noise when i got into it and let off the throttle, but thats about it

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Fawk that! I ain't putting my Jeep on a Dyno. It's just what I can feel, since it is a 4 cylinder, every bit counts.
then i do not believe that it did anything. your mind could have made it seem like it helped. the brain is a powerful object.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've installed one on two of my vehicles and seen mpg gains on both (4.2L F-150,4.6L F-150) however both vehicles had cold air intakes. I don't know if there was an increase in horsepower because I wasn't building a race car . I cannot say that they work for the 5.0L and 5.8L since i don't have any experience with one on those motors.

BUT I do beleive there are far better ways to spend your money the gains are minimal.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
useless.

got enough consensus to save your money?
I'll spend my money on something else...Thats why I asked on here first

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
then i do not believe that it did anything. your mind could have made it seem like it helped. the brain is a powerful object.
Actually it did help out. It changed my torque range around somehow. It brought it down lower IIRC. My Jeep was an embarrassing tub before I modded it. We have something called the Cajon Pass here, that connects Victorville, and Hesperia to San Bernardino, and basically the coast to Vegas. It's similar to any big mountain pass. Stock, I could only go up it at 35 MPH, in third gear (manual transmission) with 30 inch tires, 4:10 gears, pedal to the metal. After I installed a K&N like intake sytem, header, TB spacer, and high flow muffler, I was at 60-65 MPH, in 4th gear floored. The header made the difference in wide open throttle response. The spacer brought the torque range from around 2500 RPM's, to around 2000 RPM's :scratchhe, ( it's difficult to calculate). The intake made the throttle more responsive, because it opened up restriction. All in all, you can't throw in an intake, unless it is complemented with a good exhaust. I found this out through trial. Any mechanic who has been through this scenerio, will tell you the same. The bonus to the air aid spacer is the weird looks people give you when you throttle it by them :haha. They think something is a miss on your motor from the noise it makes :thumbup.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have one on my Bko but it was already installed when i picked up my Bko.
it's a nice piece of bling (if that's worth anything) but i need proof that it actually works.
spend that $100 on something else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts