Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to purchase a 91 bronco as my first truck, I was wondering if it’d be possible to swap a column and steering wheel out of a 94-96 f150 or bronco, and be able to use the airbags or am I just out of luck?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,572 Posts
There are so many things youd have to change. Im not sure you could do it with the dash installed. I dont think the column will go into place w/o a lot of custom work. The column bolts into the firewall & dash differently. Trans shift linkage is a cable (and inside the cab) vs the older trucks (under the hood) with a metal rod. Shift indicator is different. The column is a different shape and may not fit into the cutout under the cluster. Dont forget youll also need the whole airbag system, with the computer under the dash and all the impact sensors, and youll have to wire it all into the truck yourself. It is theoretically possible, but it would be a lot of work for a 1st gen airbag system that was never that great in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
25,286 Posts
Yo 91bronco1stcar,
Welcome!
As reptillikus advised. Decide for yourself by looking at, for example:
94 Dash Removal Drama by jowens1126 @ Dash Removal drama......
How to Remove 80-91 & 92-97 Ford truck Steering Columns with pics @ steering column repair how to instructions ford | Steering Column Services
Dash: 80-86 are the same style, then changed in 87 thru 91; "...I haven't found any vendor with a bolt-in or direct-fit custom insert for pre-97 Ford trucks. I think the curve of the 80-86 dash gauge bezel makes it so hard to modify that if you have something done it's worth hanging on to!!! JSM84 ..."
Source: by justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) Rest in Peace friend...
92-96 Dash were of a new design.

Here's an overview;
The supplemental air bag restraint system (SRS) in 94-96 Broncos consists of:
  • Electrical system
  • Driver side air bag module (043B13)
  • Sensors:
    • Primary air bag sensors
    • Safing air bag sensor
  • Air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056)
  • Air bag indicator
  • Tone generator
Supplemental Air Bag Restraint System Component Location

ItemPart NumberDescription
1Air Bag Indicator (Part of Instrument Cluster)
2043B13Driver Side Air Bag Module
314B007Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket
414B056Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor6
514401Main Wiring
614B005Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket (LH)
714B004Front Air Bag Sensor and Bracket (RH)
8Instrument Panel Wiring Harness (Part of 14401)

□■□
Here is the 1990 F Series/Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive (similar to your 91) @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
Slow scrolling for my slow internet.

For any questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie section. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 75 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our membersn ).

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡ Look @ Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Please find time to participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/27-f-o-t-m-voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes⚠ They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are so many things youd have to change. Im not sure you could do it with the dash installed. I dont think the column will go into place w/o a lot of custom work. The column bolts into the firewall & dash differently. Trans shift linkage is a cable (and inside the cab) vs the older trucks (under the hood) with a metal rod. Shift indicator is different. The column is a different shape and may not fit into the cutout under the cluster. Dont forget youll also need the whole airbag system, with the computer under the dash and all the impact sensors, and youll have to wire it all into the truck yourself. It is theoretically possible, but it would be a lot of work for a 1st gen airbag system that was never that great in the first place.
Yeah this really doesn’t seem worth it, I’ve already got to put an engine in it and it will be the first full project vehicle I’ve ever had so I don’t think I want to do that at least not yet, eventually I’m gonna swap the front end to a 92-96 and that’s already gonna be a lot of work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you already bought the 91?

If not, sounds like you should just hold out for a 94-96 that already has an airbag and the front end that you prefer.
Yeah I didn’t end up buying that one, I found a 94 that doesn’t need much work and am picking it up Monday, makes my name pointless though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts