Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have a neighbor who lives at the corner, and he seems to be about as excited as I am about my Bronco ownership. So the other night, I was driving home, and he flagged me down. He told me that he had something for me, which happens to be (4) 600-watt aircraft landing lights! They are just the bulb, brand new, 8" in diameter, and used for a few hours during the making of a commercial. He said that If I can find a weatherproof housing for them, I can mount them to the top of my Bronco, is this really possible? If so, I am super excited! These bulbs cost $123 each! I offered to pay him for them, but he refused. So If I can mount them, where do I get the power to power them up?:chili:

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
If you use them, do the 3g upgrade...or your stock alt won't like you...4 600w lights=2400 w...thats 200 amps...+ or - a few.

Another thing, I would make sure to have them so that they are covered...could probably get your arse in a lot of trouble having 2400w of light. Just don't turn them on to mess with someone. They will deffinatly wreck

:D

I wouldn't recommend turning more than 2 on at a time though, even with a 150 amp alt...
KC

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a newbie question...what is the process of a 3g upgrade? How do I go about doing something like that?

Now, I did crack a few jokes about blinding the hell out of some jerk who cuts me off on the freeway, but i don't want to kill anyone...lol.

Also, should I just stick to two or can I use all four? I don't know exactly how bright a 600 watt bulb is and I've never seen one on face to face...but I have seen airplanes land at night...and those things are pretty bright. Would 4 be too intense?

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
search for 3g or just go to fireguys site http://rjminjectiontech.com/

I don't think you would ever want to turn on more than two. You would have to seriously upgrade your electrical system, fuse it really really good, hope you don't burn something (lots of light = lots of heat) and you could only use it offroad anyway. Sounds like a fun gimmick, but that's about all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I kinda figured that the amount of heat these things produce is pretty intense, and I definately don't want to mess things up. I'm sure that two would be more than enough for off roading. I wouldn't dare use them on the street for fear of who knows what, but would it be cool to just use them at night for off roading like any other off road light? I took a look in search for the 3g, and I found a perfect thread, so I'll look that up this weekend and see what I can do about the upgrade. I noticed that the thread also mentioned an upgrade if there is a stereo system installed as well, which I have. I definately want to put some off road lights on the top, so thanks a lot for the mention of the 3g upgrade. I can't wait to get in there and get my hands dirty.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You'd probably be promptly arrested if you used those on the road at all.

600W is a LOT of juice for a single light bulb, especially for a 12V system (that comes out to about 50 amperes of current each!), and would require a well-done and designed wiring scheme to prevent a fire. Just for a comparison, your factory headlamps are rated at 55W/65W low and high, respectively, and somewhere between 1000 and 1500 lumens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, so using just two with a 3g upgrade is still asking for a possible fire? Is this just an idea I should ditch because I'm not too sure how to get really fancy with electrical, although, I'd would be willing to learn as long as it's just not going to torch the whole thing. What is the wattage of regular off road lights?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wow, so using just two with a 3g upgrade is still asking for a possible fire? Is this just an idea I should ditch because I'm not too sure how to get really fancy with electrical, although, I'd would be willing to learn as long as it's just not going to torch the whole thing. What is the wattage of regular off road lights?

Hella 550 = 55W (each)
ProComp130 = 130W (each)
kc hilites (most) = 100w (each)
typical HID = 30W (each)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see...Well, I think I got the idea of how bright these things are now...I thought off road lights were more than what you typed. I should take these bulbs to my uncle, and have him light them up for me so I can really just get a visual on this. Thanks a lot guys...Also, thanks a bunch on the 3g upgrade mentions.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
You'd probably be promptly arrested if you used those on the road at all.
They don't arrest you, they just pull you over and search your truck.

I run 5-130 Watt lights across the lightbar on my truck. It's more light than i will ever need in my life. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of light you would get from those, it would probably be so much that you couldn't work directly in the beam without hurting your eyes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I would like to see the brightness on these things though. I was really hoping to be able to use them on the Bronco. They are pretty nice and one would just look dumb, so I'd need at least two...I'm just scared of doing electrical damage or something.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
They don't arrest you, they just pull you over and search your truck.
Well, it was implied that if they searched MY truck, I'D be arrested. :toothless

Depending on how you behave during the cavity search, they might be slightly less inclined to give you a citation.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Well, it was implied that if they searched MY truck, I'D be arrested. :toothless

Depending on how you behave during the cavity search, they might be slightly less inclined to give you a citation.
if you giggle they get angry.

This little incident is how i also learned that any light above your headlights has to have a cover on it, at least in Ohio.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
That would be hot, do it

·
big, long, hard
5,957 Posts
Yeah, I would like to see the brightness on these things though. I was really hoping to be able to use them on the Bronco. They are pretty nice and one would just look dumb, so I'd need at least two...I'm just scared of doing electrical damage or something.
I don't think it's an absolute no-no, you just need to a whole lot of work and study first. It would probably be a good learning experience in terms of understanding wire gauges, resistance, fuses, etc. I just don't think there would be a great deal of practical use. On the "bright" side (I crack myself up) after you did all that you would have one kick-ass electrical system.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
you can have that circuit completely seperated from the rest of the electrical if you do it right. but those lights will be sooo bright that they might be a liability...i dunno. also consider the cost to replace if you break or burn one out.
keep us posted as to what direction you take. pretty interesting stuff.

·
Registered
728 Posts
dude......... this seems like a bad idea. The heat and electricty required will be ridiculous, is it a landing light or taxi light? Landing lights have a clear lense where the taxi have the angles in the lense to spread the beam. Taxi lights might be a little more reasonable.
ps if I remember ill take a picture of the landing light/wiring on the nosewheel of my a/c when i preflight in about an hour so you can get an idea of whats going on.

·
Registered
940 Posts
we use acl lamps in concert lighting.
the white narrow beams in this pic are acls wired in series to bring it down to 12v. they would be like long range driving lights rather than fog lights.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Aircraft maintenance here... I've seen those lights melt/warp the thick plastic covers they are mounted behind. They are also designed to run off of 28 VDC, not sure what kind of lights you have though.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Aircraft maintenance here... I've seen those lights melt/warp the thick plastic covers they are mounted behind. They are also designed to run off of 28 VDC, not sure what kind of lights you have though.
you know, you are right. they are 28v. 4 lamps per bar 120/4=30 duh. :banghead

1 - 20 of 46 Posts