Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend really put a damper on my SAS. Both in terms of money and in terms of rethinking what I'm doing. The TTB preformed very well this weekend and absorbed more then it's fare share of jumps. Now I have been building up for a SAS but I don't want to sacrifice my fun in the dunes too much. So this is where I'm at, I only make it to the dunes to jump once maybe twice a year so this is not an everyday thing. I'd like to hear from some of the BroncoSpeed guys (*cough* Archer66) on what I can do to limit my damage to the axle mainly the housing.

My first step was to move away from the 78-79 D44s and pickup a 76 with thicker tubes all the way out to the knuckles. I'm thinking about air bump stops like ruthless' and I'm reconsidering adding the 4 shocks in the front instead of running 2 post SAS.

For reference, this is my current setup: 89 I6 Rancho 4" with extended arms and 9000s all around.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My main reason for SAS'ing is better articulation off road when rock crawling. California has such diverse offroad terrain it's awesome and it took a long time to decide that a SAS was right for me. The only flaw in my decision is being air born...

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
$$$$

Be prepared to spend a lot if you want to do both. Good shocks and bumpstops is where you'll want to spend the most.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my basic feeling. I'll probably have to do this in stages. Andy351 hooked me up with a pair of F350 shock perches while I was in Slo so that may help me towards the dual front. Also picked up a NP203 to help me towards the crawling side too :thumbup

Things I'm considering (just thinking aloud):
- How about not running cheap shocks and pony up for some rebuildables.
- Dual front shocks
- 76 D44, welding the tubes to the pumpkin and knuckles.
- Some sort of a brace over from the tube over the pumpkin, possibly clearance issues.
- Pneumatic or hydraulic bump stop instead of just rubber.
- Limiting straps (Not sure if my new shocks will have built in limiting)

What else should I consider?

·
Registered
345 Posts
TTB front ends hold their own, if it were me id cut and turn my beams and gusset them. a well set up ttb has good articulation. if it aint broke dont fix it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was broke at one point, bent steering, blown bearings (both sides), destroyed two hubs and almost lost the spindle to a seized bearing race. Should have stoped there and started the SAS but I use the truck daily so I ended up just fixing everything myself. :banghead The good news is now I'll have a complete working TTB to sell!

Since this thread seems to be going no where I'll show what I do.

First the mountainous shot:

Then my other side that loves the dunes:

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
your BJs must be in agony with those 15" wide TSLs :shocked

Just do what Andy did and put one-tons in it :toothless

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your BJs must be in agony with those 15" wide TSLs :shocked

Just do what Andy did and put one-tons in it :toothless
Oh I avoided using the TSLs! I said I'd never take the ATs offroad again, but sand sounded soft enough not to to tear them to peaces. Seemed to fair ok.

I talked to Andy and he said his pig is too fat to get much air any more... I'd like to loose weight not add it. :toothless

Awe life is ruff wanting it all, if I had the money I'd just build two Broncos!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
TTB front ends hold their own, if it were me id cut and turn my beams and gusset them. a well set up ttb has good articulation. if it aint broke dont fix it.
It was broke at one point, bent steering, blown bearings (both sides), destroyed two hubs and almost lost the spindle to a seized bearing seat. Should have stoped there and started the SAS but I use the truck daily so I ended up just fixing everything myself. :banghead The good news is now I'll have a complete working TTB to sell!

I think what Chexmix is getting at here is that for the majority of the terrain he encouters the solid axle will work bettter because of the increased flex. The only time the TTB is preferable seems to be the sand which is a once or twice a year trip compared to 5-10 of the other terrain. Im kind of in the same boat, because I KNOW I want to and am going to SAS because it will work better (for me) more often. But when the temptation to jump comes around it would be nice to know the front end isnt going to fall apart.

I was hoping Archer66 would see this thread and share some of his wisdom on the subject. He gets a lot of air and I know hes bent at least one D44 housing, but thats with a big block and lots of air.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey Chexmix, you can air out a solid axle, just gotta truss it up a bit.:rockon

Something like this:

So you can do this:

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Oh I avoided using the TSLs! I said I'd never take the ATs offroad again, but sand sounded soft enough not to to tear them to peaces. Seemed to fair ok.

I talked to Andy and he said his pig is too fat to get much air any more... I'd like to loose weight not add it. :toothless

Awe life is ruff wanting it all, if I had the money I'd just build two Broncos!
Justin, IMO having been to SOB and sandlake and Oregon's dunes many times, you are in a real pickle. It's the classic go fast vs. go slow. I go slow since I just don't have nearly the power and too much weight for the sand.

The dunes (and I'm sure Sven will chime in at some point), your post on some stuff you're thinking is great. But you'll really need 2 sets of tires since I wouldn't get too crazy jumping either setup (TTB or SAS) with a large/heavy tire combo (likely a combo that on the flip side works great on trails). You also need major gearing, horsepower, and lighten up on the weight. At the same time you could use skid plates, winch, sliders, etc. for the trail.

So you're going to have to make some compromises at one end or the other. You aren't real serious about the dunes since you don't get there that often. And to really have more fun there you really need some paddles and a lot more motor than what you have.

I'd look at Sven's build as a good compromise, but keep in mind, he still has the motor to make the dunes a lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Chexmix, you can air out a solid axle, just gotta truss it up a bit.:rockon
Those pictures are awesome! Exactly what I like to see, gives me some good ideas. I think a new cross member might be in order to to give a little more room beyond just trimming.

Mark, on the tires, I do have two sets already! Doesn't everyone? :thumbup

But your right about spinning the wheels in the sand with all of the weight. My truck wheights allot now and it's missing the bumpers! After I get my welder it's going to weight alot more. This combined with my "little" I6, which got me around no problem but just takes longer to get up to speed. When we where jumping, I was taking twice the distance to get a decent speed up that face to launch. :toothless

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well to add another 2 cents...it sounds like sas is where you will end up, look towards trussing the d44 up and invest the time and money into getting the right shock setup, correct hydro bumps and good leafs (I am fond of deavers). Too many people dont put the effort into getting the right leaf springs they have as much of an impact on things as do the shocks. You can have a nice setup that will let you play in the dunes as well as work the rocks. Also going one ton would be doable as well but all the same priinciples apply.
Let us in on the build once you start, good luck.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Well to add another 2 cents...it sounds like sas is where you will end up, look towards trussing the d44 up and invest the time and money into getting the right shock setup, correct hydro bumps and good leafs (I am fond of deavers). Too many people dont put the effort into getting the right leaf springs they have as much of an impact on things as do the shocks. You can have a nice setup that will let you play in the dunes as well as work the rocks. Also going one ton would be doable as well but all the same priinciples apply.
Let us in on the build once you start, good luck.
We heard you we heard you. :histerica:goodfinge

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
:histerica

Did you mean to double post making fun of PC's quadruple post, or was that unintentional, Shado? :rofl:

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
easy on the Post Reply button guys, if it just sits there and cycles navigate to a different part of the board, then back here, it usually posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts