Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still here ya'll...one more month! Been trying to look at lifts and tires. First thing...speedo cable and power steering pump! Anybody using the GPS speedos? Ya'll will have to excuse me, it will probably take me a month or two to catch up on all the old posts. I appreciate everyones support, can't wait to get home!

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Stay safe... Hope you get home soon.

Thanks for your service----Fog

·
Shhhh, I'm not here
3,258 Posts
Hey there Mike, I hope you can make the May M&G/Photo shoot and the June M&G in Goldendale. Thanks and hope to see ya soon.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,659 Posts
Come home safe BMC! Thanks! :usa

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Mike, where is your current duty station? The big A or the big I?

The only accurate speedo in my bronco is my Garmin GPS...

Stay safe and post some pictures!

dc

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dangling_Dave said:
Mike, where is your current duty station? The big A or the big I?

The only accurate speedo in my bronco is my Garmin GPS...

Stay safe and post some pictures!

dc
Iraq

you blow up anything cool lately?
almost everyday

no sheep, but I did catch a goat (not sure if it was a Billy or a Nanny though....)

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Im a GPS vetran from the old school.... They *used* to inject errornous data into GPS signals so that civilian GPS units would not be very accurate. The military GPS units were programmed to reject erroronous data, thus kept the desired accuracy.

HOWEVER, several years ago they quit with the error chit and now the civilian GPS units are sometimes more accurate than the military units. I *know this first hand*, as I used my Megellan GPS-315 with MGRS in the desert during training at Ft.Irwin (CA).

Anyway, you *can* use your GPS for a speedo, it will be MORE accurate than your uncalibrated speedo (usually, only cops have a certified, calibrated speedo for pacing reasons).

Good luck! :thumbup

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
wow mike, been that long already...hurry back bro, stop by huntsville again sometime and maybe we can grab a bite to eat this time

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MyFullSize said:
I *know this first hand*, as I used my Megellan GPS-315 with MGRS in the desert during training at Ft.Irwin (CA).

I use my Garmin over here more than I do my military "plugger"...they can be right on top of each other and you still get different grids. The Garmin is usually more accurate.

I was considering putting an actual GPS speedo in the dash (like on the boats) kinda spendy, but tire changes or gear changes have no effect!

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I put my Streetpilot on my dash and with 31's at 75 mph the stock speedo was 2 mph off. With 33's it was 6mph off. You dont even wanna know how bad it was with 37s.

The morning after they turned off SA (Selective Availability), my accuracy went from between 100-300 feet with the units stock antenna, to 12-20 feet.

When my speedo cable broke in the t-case I drove it for a couple more years, about 15,000 miles and none of that was logged on the odometer.

GPS's rule.

-Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts