Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided that with my recovery gear and other valuables its time for an alarm. I need something that has a few motion sensors for the cargo area, that way if somebody tries to snatch something with the top off they get a surprise. I also want the ability to put a very loud siren inside the cab so anybody attempting a truck theft will be left with pain. Our 95 f-150 had a pretty decent viper alarm that we liked. Idk if it would be worth the money to also convert to electric door locks at the same time, it would be nice instead of leaning across the seat to let my girl in.

I'm also about to get very picky and I might dabble in the world of "not possible"

Something that would allow me to roll down the rear window.
Electric door locks since im an XL.
Plenty of sensors in the rear so every square inch is protected from snatching hands.
Remote start would be great.
The ability to have a long distance range.

Thats about it I believe. I also don't feel like spending loads of cash. I just recently spent over a grand outfitting my shop with all new tools so my funds have gotten smaller.

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody wants to even begin to tackle this huh? lol

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a pit bull already lol.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Nobody wants to even begin to tackle this huh? lol
i can only give you advice from my experience, but I would get any DEI alarm (viper, python or clifford) look at the 2-way paging alarms. In my experience they are great alarms and the remote will let you know up to 1/4 mile away if your alarm is going off. I have this one http://www.viper.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=103 and it works well. the remote start is a great option and the fact that the remote is a pager for the alarm makes it worth it. DEI make all kinds of add ons that will make it control anything you want. If you get the right installer that knows what they are doing they can make it roll down the back window right out of the box, they need an extra module to make it go up and down. I have a viper on my bronco and a clifford on my car (same alarm different name), and they both work great. they will cost you about 5 bills but its worth it if your looking for a top of the line alarm.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,826 Posts
I have a middle/higher end Viper alarm. It has a 2 way radio and all of that good stuff. The remote start was a $30 upgrade (thinking about it now, I should have just added that in there for the winters), and motion sensors is a $50 upgrade. I cant roll down any of the windows with the remote, but the doors lock and unlock. The only thing that I dont like about it is that annoying siren alarm (you know, the typical wee whoo alarm). I think if I were going to do it again, I would go with the Clifford or OEM Ford.

*EDIT* The thing I really like about my alarm is the cut-off or ignition kill ma-bob. Basically if the alarm is going off, the engine wont crank over if someone tries to turn the key. I dont know if that is pretty standard, but when I bought it I knew nothing about alarms and the Viper is the only one I really looked at.

AND looking at both, Viper and Clifford, websites, they are the exact same company. Same remotes, same design, features, and even the same text on the websites. So really it doesnt matter which brand you go with, its the same thing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you are looking at alarms, DEI basically has a stranglehold on the market with many different badges of the same product. Just pick the one you like and realize that it is nothing more than a deterrant, because you can't stop someone who really wants your truck, and if they know what they are doing, it'll be disarmed in no time, regardless of kill switches, etc.

Personally I was running a clifford matrix something or another for the remote start and keyless entry + 2 way pager. :thumbup

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Viper seems the way to go. I had great luck with the setup in the truck. Instead of doing this myself I am gonna hit up a few shops and get some quotes. Thanks for the advice guys! I really just wanted to see if I could control the rear window and have a few motion sensors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts