Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been on one?

Any advice?

Wife says she wants to go this year on vacation instead of skiing...which is crap, because I love skiing!

Alaska sounds cool, never been before, but I hate to give up my ski trip.

I looked around and "holy geez" these things are expensive. Plus the airfare, hotel, meals, etc....

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
Drive the Bronco, "Break Down"(hint hint) in Colorado... Go sking while they "Fix" (Install supercharger) the Bronco. Drive home without making it to Alaska in a supercharged Bronco. Be sure to save the extra 2000k you saved for a divorce atternoy if she ever finds out what you did...

Or go to Alaska and enjoy yourself... I've always wanted to go there myself----Fog

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Don't forget about booz...thats not usually included and is expensive...my wife had talked about going before and I said I wouldnt go...the thought of sitting on the boat for a week or whatever doesnt sound fun...even though they make port stops...i would rather go sit on a beach for a week with paco waiting on me....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, don't get me wrong, it would be a cool trip. They take you out to some glaciers and such, but they just want every penny you've made this year to do it...

Can't believe I forgot the add alcohol to the expense equation..

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I went on an alaskan 7day cruise bout..2 years ago i think, and it was awesome to say the least. I went on princess cruiseline, and i know someone else who went on the same cruise, 3 days after i left, on royal carribian IIRC. She said they went on the same exact tour, except the cruise boat was different. We paid a whole bunch more, but there was some better entertainment and stuff to do on the boat for all ages from what it sounds like. They are expensive, and they DON'T include any beverages but water in your cost of the total cruise. They give you a lil charge card for a final bill when you check out.

The excursions are really badass, and you do go into deep glacier coves and get super close into glaciers, as well as see ice fall off, see killer wales, etc. It was pretty cool!

If you got the $, i'd say go for it, alaska was incredible, nothing like i've ever seen before in the US. It was colorado on a MASSIVE scale.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
I went on an alaskan 7day cruise bout..2 years ago i think, and it was awesome to say the least. I went on princess cruiseline, and i know someone else who went on the same cruise, 3 days after i left, on royal carribian IIRC. She said they went on the same exact tour, except the cruise boat was different. We paid a whole bunch more, but there was some better entertainment and stuff to do on the boat for all ages from what it sounds like. They are expensive, and they DON'T include any beverages but water in your cost of the total cruise. They give you a lil charge card for a final bill when you check out.

The excursions are really badass, and you do go into deep glacier coves and get super close into glaciers, as well as see ice fall off, see killer wales, etc. It was pretty cool!

If you got the $, i'd say go for it, alaska was incredible, nothing like i've ever seen before in the US. It was colorado on a MASSIVE scale.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i went on royal carribian for a 7 day to the bahama's....i know its not alaska but i did consider alaska they are way more expensive

dont take the flight an cruise package, youll be over paying by a few hundred $$. Also, over 7 days you'll easily rack up a few hundred on drinks alone and my girlfriend didnt even drink any liquor, soda is also not included. You have your choice also of either eating in the buffet every day which will pretty much have everything you could possibly wanna eat plus all the juice you want lol an you dont have to tip 5 different waiters at the end of the cruise like you would have to if you eat in the dining room.

i think its worth it an from what i hear the alaskan cruises are some of the best out there, ill probably be taking one this year with my girlfriend:thumbup

Take pics

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dobermansx said:
Anybody been on one?
I looked around and "holy geez" these things are expensive. Plus the airfare, hotel, meals, etc....
Food is included in the price, I believe. Hotel?? You're on a ship. Funny that this came up, as we're looking at taking one too on the Princess line. Looks like it won't be too bad. It's the excursions that are gonna kill me. I found one where you can take a Jeep out in the backcountry, but you have to be 25 to drive. WTF??:banghead So much for that. I'm thinking about $5-6k for the trip. Thank goodness for the wife's insurance settlement that'll be coming soon.:thumbup

·
Registered
604 Posts
hmthesing said:
It's the excursions that are gonna kill me. I found one where you can take a Jeep out in the backcountry, but you have to be 25 to drive. WTF??:banghead
yea they had a jeep excursion in st thomas or i think st martin an they required you to be 25....man i was pissed:duh

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
anyone else just think of the Titanic?
I did LOL. If you gotta get in that water up there for any reason, like youn hit a glacier, youll be dead in minutes.

Go on a carribean cruise, then the sharks might not eat you for a day or two, well thats if pirates dont attack first.:toothless

·
ex N00b
137 Posts
I worked for NCL for a few years. Their Alaska cruise was one I really wanted to do, but couldn't because of the time off demand. I was able to take Caribbean cruises though.
Depending on the month you take the Alaska cruise, you can do some really good whale watching. We were going to try for a September cruise, but like I said, it never happened.
One little hint for you to save a few bucks... stash your favorite bottle in your luggage! When you get to your cabin, you can unpack and put the bottle in the little refridgerator. Then you go get a soft drink or juice or whatever, and then head back to your cabin to "spike it". We saved a ton of money that way! If you want to make it appear you are buying from the bar, buy one of their drinks that you get a "souvenir cup" with, then use that cup all week long.
From what I recall, the Alaska cruise is one filled with late nights viewing the waters from topside, and early mornings if you are doing any excursions. The one excursion I would recommend is the flight to one of the glaciers. A few of my friends did that and said the helecopter views are breath-taking and forever memorable.

Oh well... enjoy whatever you do!

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
I haven't been on one but my folks went last summer. Mom said it was worth every penny, Dad was pretty impressed too. I say go for it. If I had the funds I would, spent 14 years in the AF trying to get to AK.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good. I like the part of CO at a massive scale.

Looks like we're booking the early Aug trip....man this is gonna break my vacation account...

Thanks for all the advice...it makes it a little easier now.

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
alaska is awesome, you only need a valid US drivers licence to do the jeep excursion, i did celeberty(sp?) cruse lines, it was awesome i would recomend it, dont bother buying a pop card you get juice water aqnd iced tea in the price, room service is free, the mini bar is expensive so have it locked, most of the ship is included in the price(food, room, board, etc.) the excursions are fun, definatly do some of those, but as fun as the jeep excursion is, you should do both the sea salmon fishing, and the sled dog exploration, but deffinatly do it

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
My girlfriend's cousin lives in Alaska :shrug

(/end worthless post pertaining to nothing in particular in dealing with this thread)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hey man i just got back from the alaskan cruise and all i can say is Fing amazing, it was awesome and there so many things you can do when your boat docks in these small alaskan towns. You wont belive all the jewlry stores but other than that dont do the cruise ship excursions they are a rip do yourself a favor and save yourself some doe and go i into the towns and find the excursions yourself much more fun..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts