Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some venting or whatever you want to call it. I haven’t needed an alignment on a truck with the ttb since about 2008, and I recall it being a pain. Shop didn’t know what adjustable alignment bushings were and essentially charged me to worsen the alignment. Insisted there was no other way to fix it. That’s the 89 I ended up putting solid axles under.

Fast forward to now. After driving my 94 with new suspension components for a couple weeks I figured it was time for an alignment. I’ve now talked to close to a dozen shops, some of them recommended by other mechanics. Talked to a shop on the phone that insisted they could do it so I brought it in (I avoid bringing any vehicle to a “mechanic”). The other shops either refused to do it or said they couldn’t.

First call I got after they looked at it said they recommended waiting 6 months to align it because of the lift and new springs. Only part is there is no lift and it’s the stock front suspension with new poly bushings, so little to nothing will settle. But I said no big deal. I sandblasted and painted the coil springs so they thought they were new. Ignoring the fact that there are no other lift components present I assumed they thought they were leveling springs. So I told them to just go ahead and align it.

Then another call an hour later stating that they highly recommend not aligning it and suggest just rotating tires more often. They said if they were to align it it would cost $360 and they have no guarantee that it will be better, worse or the same as when I brought to them. But they said they would have to “shim up” the balljoints and the alignment would likely end up worse so it was not a wise investment. I wish they would have just said they don’t know how to align it, like the other shops.

I feel like they wasted my time. I rarely bring my vehicles to mechanics because of too many bad experiences. Hopefully it sounds like I have found a shop in Delaware that can do it, but we will see. I feel like the automotive industry and mechanics aren’t what they used to be. I know some good ones, but most at dealerships and shops are glorified part installers. And aligning the ttb is a lost art, lost due to the retirement of older knowledgeable mechanics. This whole time experience is making me rethink putting long travel ttb under my 92 for something easier to align, like superduty axles. Anyone else have an impossible time getting the ttb aligned somewhere?

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Camber cycles on the TTB so it's not critical as long as it's not way out. Toe is the critical part. I've had several shops get it wrong because their techs have never seen TTB. I've taken to telling them to align it like they would a regular car. Center steering wheel, adjust each tie rod independently.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,965 Posts
man that sucks..something to be said for the ease of aligning a solid axle...It's amazing there aren't more shops that can do a competent job with the TTB..maybe not a lot on the road where you are..super duty axles sounds like a great idea..😀

Reactions: '89Bronco302

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
man that sucks..something to be said for the ease of aligning a solid axle...It's amazing there aren't more shops that can do a competent job with the TTB..maybe not a lot on the road where you are..super duty axles sounds like a great idea..😀
Most chains are staffed by younger guys who weren't even alive when TTB was being produced (on trucks anyway). Hell I was 6 when the last TTB truck rolled off the lot. Aside from the odd econoline they probably never see it, and Most of the time just do a toe and go on those.
A solid axle better be easy, all there is is toe!

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 301K miles
870 Posts
When you get it Aligned they have to do it in the Loaded position or in other words drive it on the Rack and Align it, if they raise up the front to check everything out and then drop it back down and then Align it the Toe will be ok while on the Rack but as soon as you drive away the TTB will settle back because of the inherent flex in the Design and then the Toe will become more Toe out from the required slight Toe-in? THE BRONCO MUST BE ALIGNED IN THE AS DRIVEN ON THE RACK CONDITION!!!! If not then your Toe will end up being too much Toe out even if they Aligned it with Toe IN. My Bronco Wandered all the time after my Alignment until I had them drive it on the rack and CHECK it and then they adjusted the Toe again and then after that it has been driving PERFECTLY, without the Wandering.... Just my 2 Cents
And yes most don't want to adjust the Caster/Camber on these things they just want to do the Toe and as stated above they can't even do that Correctly because they have no Clue. You have to become the Expert and tell them what you want and how to do it. Have fun with that also. They ALL think they know it all and you are a F'in moron....

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,961 Posts
SAS is the only solution. I'd really like to talk to the engineering team that came up with that contraption in the 70s.

Adrianspeeder

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found another shop that helped me out. Once I told the guy I did all the work underneath he brought me back and showed me the alignment breakdown. Perfect now, glad that fiasco is over. Return to center is fixed and so is the screech around corners. I like aligning my trucks with the kingpin 60, I always do it in the driveway. Never had a “pro” touch those ones.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 301K miles
870 Posts
@[U]'89Bronco302[/U], Glad you found someone to geterdone! Do you have a copy of the before and after specs to post up here for others to see? How is the Tracking, can you take your hands off the steering wheel and does she go straight without any wander?

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@[U]'89Bronco302[/U], Glad you found someone to geterdone! Do you have a copy of the before and after specs to post up here for others to see? How is the Tracking, can you take your hands off the steering wheel and does she go straight without any wander?
I don’t have them with me, can in a couple days when I scan it. Just drove it a few hours on the highway, tried taking my hands off sometimes just to test. It tracks awesome and doesn’t wander at all. All new poly bushings everywhere helps too.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just out of curiosity did he Align it in the Loaded condition, not having lifted it off the rack?

·
Registered
870 Posts
That's good! It took me 3X to get them to listen to me and do it that way and all has been fine since.
(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts