Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front of my '90 sits 1.25 - 1.50" lower than the rear. I want to put a leveling kit, coil spacers, or something on it to get the ride closer to level. Most kits are 2", so I'm considering universal coil spacers at 1", or perhaps some junkyard springs; If there are any Ford truck springs in a yard that will raise my 5.8/E4OD Bronco up an 1" about? Anyone know?

Also, I'm concerned about after leveling, whether or not I will be able to get it aligned properly? I searched and read a few posts which mentioned that some Broncos already have the alignment bushings on the upper ball joints from the factory, and therefore will receive no benefit from buying them? Is this true?

Here are some pictures of what is on my upper ball joints; Being new to Broncos I'm not sure if they are already the alignment bushings everyone buys, further meaning I will not be able to raise the front on this thing without having alignment issues? Thanks for your time and help:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you ... How much do they usually raise it, if you know?

Also, do you know if those are 'aftermarket' type alignment bushings on it?

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I used a set of 250 springs.. It leveled it out and didn't raise the front higher than the rear. It does stiffen up the ride a little. It did not alter the alignment enought to notice

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a set of 250 springs.. It leveled it out and didn't raise the front higher than the rear. It does stiffen up the ride a little. It did not alter the alignment enought to notice
I figured the 250 springs would be a stiffer rate, but I'm surprised your alignment didn't change enough to need it adjusted!?

Seeing as sling thinks my bushings are aftermarket already, I wonder if I will run into any issues by putting 2wd 250 springs on it ... is there any fab work needed to get the springs on it? Thanks for the help. :beer

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Those look like the aftermarket bushings, but likely someone had them installed during an alignment. You could pull one side apart and see where the eccentric hole is, to know if you have more adjustment, which I'll bet you do.

Personally I don't want something stiffer than stock. Anything as soft as, or softer than stock will improve the ride on road, and ability off road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I don't want something stiffer than stock. Anything as soft as, or softer than stock will improve the ride on road, and ability off road.
I don't either, but I guess it depends how much stiffer they are? 5%: okay ... 50%: hell no! I also wonder how much adjustment is left? It appears the eccentric hole is near the outboard side, but my tires are currently tilted in at the top a degree or two, so I think some springs/spacers won't hurt as long as the lift is mild (1" - 1-1/2")?

·
Registered
820 Posts
i looked at my bronco earlier and mine look just like that, i was looking in the dark the other day when i said they didnt look like mine, so now idk if they're aftermarket or stock

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i looked at my bronco earlier and mine look just like that, i was looking in the dark the other day when i said they didnt look like mine, so now idk if they're aftermarket or stock
They are probably stock then. I would ~assume~ Ford set these trucks up to at least have some degree of camber adjustment ... at least I would think so?

·
Registered
820 Posts
i looked again and found that on my driver side it looks like yours but my passenger side one is different

passenger

driver

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh, weird? Maybe when it went in for an alignment in it's past the shop needed an aftermarket bushing to zero in one wheel (driver's), while the other (passenger) was fine??

Maybe that is what I have, being that both sides of mine needed some version of an aftermarket adjustable bushing that the alignment shop then used? So perhaps there are bushings available with a wider range of adjustment, and therefore I should just go ahead and buy a Superlift leveling kit and be done with it ... me thinks so. Thanks for all your help, gents. :rockon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts