Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be a good transfer case that can handle power around 600hp and give my truck all wheel drive?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
jpdoyon said:
what would be a good transfer case that can handle power around 600hp and give my truck all wheel drive?
Most 4x4 x-fer cases would work for all wheel drive, but you would need some kind of differential or viscous clutch to prevent binding. That being said, most 4x4 transfer cases are also very robust pieces of equipment that sacrifice NVH for strength. Expect a lot of gear whine and chain noise with a 4x4 setup.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
jpdoyon said:
1. Welcome to FSB. :beer

2. Exelent tech write up, I learned a lot from it. :thumbup

3. Why would you want all wheel drive?

4. Do you like Yams?

5. A little vehichle info would also be nice.

6. Go to the intraductions forum and intraduce yourself. ;)

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Gack, I forgot how to use search can you help me?

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
I thought the NP 203 for older GMs was a AWD setup.
Well, its fulltime 4wd.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
right. that is what i meant.
the silverado SS has AWD dunno what kind of setup and I think it's only 340hp probably less but that might be your best bet.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
ScorpionBoy said:
right. that is what i meant.
Looks like you are pretty well on the money. I was curious of whether there was "technically" any difference myself, and found this.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

All wheel drive is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. Full time symmetric AWD would be the best term to be used. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range" AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
JahWarrior said:
Looks like you are pretty well on the money. I was curious of whether there was "technically" any difference myself, and found this.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

All wheel drive is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. Full time symmetric AWD would be the best term to be used. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range" AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road.
nice. i was wondering what the diff was myself. and my laziness paid off, as usual. thanks for the info.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Steve83 said:
Low range has little to do with how "capable" the vehicle is; especially if it has an automatic. The torque converter is always putting you into the "range" best suited for your speed & the torque you need out of the engine, so that's more effective than having to choose one of 2 settings, but also having to stop every time you need to change.

AWD has a diff in the t-case; 4WD doesn't. With AWD & no traction control, it's possible to spin only 1 tire. With 4WD, the minimum is 2, which means it's harder to get stuck.
using the breaks to slow you down as you do some 10 mile decent on a rocky trail ain't so great either. I will use the low range.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I wonder if we totally lost our thread starter???:popc1: :duh

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Steve83 said:
If your driving style overheats the brakes on a rocky trail, you're driving too fast. Shift to 1st gear - low range still isn't necessary. And a rocky trail isn't like going down a paved bridge - certainly not a 10-mile trail. You're not gonna roll out-of-control even if you put it in Neutral & never touch the brakes.

So, as I said: low range has little to do with a vehicle's capabilities - certainly not on a 10-mile rocky trail.
E4OD is gay with big tires and 4 high, my tranny just slips if I'm in high and I'm trying to do anything low speed that's even remotely technical or deep but that's just another excuse to get my ZF installed

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,916 Posts
Steve83 said:
AWD has a diff in the t-case; 4WD doesn't.
Now if I'm not mistaken the FT NP203 t-case does have a differential in there with spider gears because it is in 4WD all the time. It allows slippage between the front and rear diffs, just like allowing slippage from one side to the other as in a rear end.

There's 5 positions in there and if the truck is just in Hi with the hubs unlocked, it won't move. It has to be in high lock to move.

Brutus had a full-time NP203 t-case. Alot of the 78/79s came with them

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Steve83 said:
If your driving style overheats the brakes on a rocky trail, you're driving too fast. Shift to 1st gear - low range still isn't necessary. And a rocky trail isn't like going down a paved bridge - certainly not a 10-mile trail. You're not gonna roll out-of-control even if you put it in Neutral & never touch the brakes.

So, as I said: low range has little to do with a vehicle's capabilities - certainly not on a 10-mile rocky trail.
i so want to take you four wheeling out here.:thumbup

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Steve83 said:
I spent a few months in southern AZ, & I went crawling up & down the mountains or haulin' across the desert almost every day. Only drove off a cliff once... ;) Come to think of it, that was on a 10-mile rocky downhill trail!
lol. i hate it when that happens. :D there are trails out here where you definitely will want to be in 4lo, especially if you have the m5od. but, even autos would need the low range on some of this stuff for a controlled descent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts