Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for christmas I got a barebones kit. Finally got all the parts minus the sound card. Gotta wait till next pay day to get it. Few things if I would have paid for all of it, that I would have done different. But it is better then my aging computer. This is also my first Intel computer since I got rid of my Dell a few years back.

But the specs
Intel Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz Dual Core Processor
EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Mother Board
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8400GS PCI-Ex16 Vid Card
Crucial 2Gb DDR2 667 PC2-5300 RAM
Samsung 20x DVD-RW
Seagate 250Gb Hard Drive
Seagate 160Gb Hard Drive
480watt PSU
Cooler Master processer fan
2x Rosewill 120mm Fans
CRE Air Slot Fan
and the 90mm fan that came with the case on the door
and the sound card will be a Creative Audigy PCI card
for now I will run XP Pro since I have a copy of it. When money allows I will be bumping up to Vista Home Premium

and some pics of the build

fan on the door wasn't hooked up at the time of this pic

that is what I got so far

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i know nothing about computers but glowing like that looks bad ass

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I got a similar system, but running 6 SATA drives, and a 2.3ghs core2duo and it fricken flys. I also have a 650watt PS powering the whole thing.

you will like it. I am sticking with XP pro.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Cute.

You might wanna look to upgrade to a Core2 soon. Prices will be falling even further in the spring.

Also, I wouldn't call vista an "upgrade"; in fact, it's kind of an IT joke to call the upgrade to vista: Windows XP. :D

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Toss that slot fan it in the street! it's only sucking power and cooling its self

I only need 3 fans
Stock CPU fan
107-CFM 120mm in the back
47-CFM 80mm in the front

make sure the fans work together to move air in one direction
Don't ignore your computer, vacuum the dusk out every couple months (more offen if you got hairy pets)

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Toss that slot fan it in the street! it's only sucking power and cooling its self

I only need 3 fans
Stock CPU fan
86CFM 120mm in the back
47CFM 80mm in the front

make sure the fans work together to move air in one direction
Don't egnor your system, vacuum the dusk out every couple months
I think you missed a fan. Bet there is one hiding in your power supply. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Daniel I must say that is a different kinda build then we are used to seeing here but an interesting one at that. I like it hope it all wokrs out for you.

On a side note you going to RITS this year?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I like the neon! I dont know jack about computers but looks cool ;) I have a duo core processor and they are lightning fast. Are you gunna run vista?

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Daniel I must say that is a different kinda build then we are used to seeing here but an interesting one at that. I like it hope it all wokrs out for you.

On a side note you going to RITS this year?
this is only my second Intel build. Normally I only build AMD machines. First one was a similar EVGA system.

And more then likely no..GA is just a bit to far for me to get the bronco and I won't go without it. Did that once and didnt like that fact.

SigEpBlue said:
You might wanna look to upgrade to a Core2 soon. Prices will be falling even further in the spring.

Also, I wouldn't call vista an "upgrade"; in fact, it's kind of an IT joke to call the upgrade to vista: Windows XP.

if they drop when I have some money then I will.

May be some, but after playing with it a couple times and setting up the other intel computer I built with it, I liked it. I see nothing different then when the switch to XP was made. New OS had some bugs. But it gave me no fits when I set it up and it worked.

daverbmxer said:
8400 GS?? I haven't even heard of that..

just a couple steps down from the bigger 8 series cards.

and it is replacing this old mess of a computer..sad it was my first build

·
Banned
495 Posts
what the heck is with all the different duo cores what is the best one to use? what is the difference between a pentium d and a core 2 duo e/t, core 2 extreeme qx, core 2 quad? im running a pentium 4 3.6 mhz socket 775 and would like to upgrade this spring with the same socket, but all the newwer chips mhz is lower so im not sure what to do

Ray

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what the heck is with all the different duo cores what is the best one to use? what is the difference between a pentium d and a core 2 duo e/t, core 2 extreeme qx, core 2 quad? im running a pentium 4 3.6 mhz socket 775 and would like to upgrade this spring with the same socket, but all the newwer chips mhz is lower so im not sure what to do

Ray
well a core 2 quad is a quad core processor.

but the difference is which processor chips are used, the connections between the two etc. As time has moved on in the multi-core processor arena, they have gotten better at making them, fitting larger processors with better connections. A multicore processor is like having multiple processors in one case. Like Intels Yonah dual core processors, it is 2 Pentium M chips.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts

Ray
Toms Hardware is a great place to get benchmarks. Just go there and look at processors benchmarks within your price range, then figure out the price for performance.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you made a mojito for your puter? mine is jealous.

I haven't ran liquid cooling since the time of the pic. In fact I was ripping it all out due to an error I made in installing it. You can see the burn marks in the processor socket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts