Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been kind of putting this question off because it may sound stupid but here goes.

I have a 6'' lift on my '86 that was installed by the previous owner. It's been lifted for a while because I can't read what kind of kit and options he put on due to rust. I'm told it's a 6 inch and it clears my 35's with room to spare so I think that part is true.

1) It has blocks in the back. Can I simply measure these to determine lift height? I ask because I want to order leaf springs instead of riding on blocks.

2) I want to replace all 4(?) shocks up front. It's not gonna see too much 4x4 stuff. Mostly pavement and dirt roads. Who makes a good quality (ridewise) shock?

3) While I'm messing around with suspension, I want to run 38's eventually. Will extended radius arms help at all with those? Anything else I should replace? Coils?

Sorry for the Blitzkrieg, these are just things on my mind that my friends don't have an answer for.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read the guy with the '78's thread asking basically the same thing.

Mods, if you want you can delete this thread. I can pretty much follow his.

Sorry.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Long arms won't help with fitting larger tire size, they will help with flex ultimately making it harder to fit a larger tire if you were to wheel it. To run 38's... I would be willing to bet you'd need to do a body lift or cut some sheet metal off the body to comfortably drive it, especially off road.

From what I gather MOST 6" lifts come with a combination of an add a leaf spring AND a block to get the total lift height, or a new leaf spring combined with a block etc. to get the desired lift. This might take some close inspection to find out, maybe post a pic of here. I know some guys can tell lift brands by looking at the brackets etc. but I can't.

For shocks, if you want a good ride Bilstein's are always my go to but I've heard decent things about Edelbrocks higher end shocks etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
1. usually with 6" lift in front most people go with 4in springs in rear to get a level stance because if you do 6 in it will look lower in nose.
2. for shocks go with the best that you can afford but remember that if you are running stiff coils the ride wont improve.
3. longer arms only help travel not fitment of tires

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the replies fellas!

The blocks in the back measure 4'' so that sounds correct Task1.

I'll nix the radius arms in this case. I am willing and also need to trim out my wheel wells because of rust so no worries there.

I was looking at Blisteins as well. I have them on my S4 and love them so I will probably go with them.

I really appreciate the input guys. Thank you.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
I don't disagree on the radius arms not helping for "lift" but 6" drop brackets do tend to flex. The extended radius arms would help with this as it would remove the drop bracket for the stock arm and give you a longer radius arm and a less flexy mount at the frame end. If you are going to go to 38's I would suggest going to extended arms for that reason as the bigger tires will only be able to put more stress on the drop brackets. I like the way BDS uses a new mount and everything for their front arms.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha ohhhh boy. Okay, I'll dig into some threads on radius arms and try to come to a conclusion. Thank you for the insight.

Side note, I think some red ones would look really nice under my truck and if they help at all, I feel that it's a win / win.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You also need to research the tire size to gear selection charts before moving up in tire size. No mention in your post about current gears you need to confirm what you have and look at that chart for your next tire size to confirm you are correctly geared. Given your purpose, street, have you consider using air suspension? You mention improving ride quality, new coils, springs and shocks are intended for off road application not street ride IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I guarantee I'm running stock gears. The thing is a turtle trying to get up to speed but it cruises okay.

Off topic but my transmission is just a sloppy piece of junk so once I balls up and swap in my 4 speed, I will also be getting the gears changed.

I haven't looked at air suspension at all. I had it in my Hummer and hated waiting on it to fill up so I could drive it. I know new airbags don't really need fill time but it turned me off to air ride. Depending on how much of a pain it is to rig up, I might go that route.

Thanks TomR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts