Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part # for the front bearing on a stock alternator. I have an '88 with a 302 and AOD. The thing is squeeling for about 10 minutes after startup. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I "assumed" so 'cause I sprayed WD-40 at the pulley while it was running and it stopped for a couple of minutes.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Are you sure you can replace it? That happened to me and I had to replace the alt. CHeck your voltage with the truck running and see if it's low, mine was.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Are you sure you can replace it? That happened to me and I had to replace the alt. CHeck your voltage with the truck running and see if it's low, mine was.
yes you can replace the bearing. you will oprbably7 have to disasemble it, and then take it to a specialty alternator shop, or a special bearing place to get the bearing, but it will be much cheaper than replacing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
ive got a question about how to reasemble an alternator...

i bought one from napa, and after driving with it for about a week i realized it was making excesive noise,
you know those three long bolts that are supposed to hold the alternator together?? there were only TWO of the bolts and ONE of them was LOOSE! what if that fell apart while i was driving?

anyway i took it apart to see the damage.. the outer magnets were scuffed but seem alright to use agian..

my problem is that when you take it apart there are two little spring mounted contacts in the front and when you try to put the copper coil back in the hole there is no way to hold the contacts in their shrouds against their springs and therefor you cant reassemble it!
can you pop the bearing cap out the back and use something flat to hold the contacts in place until the rest is solid and then re-install the bearing cap?

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I've never bothered to take apart an alternator. You can get most of the cost back with a core charge, so I always replace. Plus those guys will take anything. One time, I couldn't get the bleed valve out of one of my calipers. So I decided to heat it up. Bad idea!! Needless to say, I took it in, and the guys were like, "Who cares!" hehehe So I got 2 new calipers for like 25 bucks. Ever since then, I just trade for a rebuild.

I'm not sayin that an alternator is that complicated, but is it really worth your time and fustration?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
knarf121 said:
ive got a question about how to reasemble an alternator...

i bought one from napa, and after driving with it for about a week i realized it was making excesive noise,
you know those three long bolts that are supposed to hold the alternator together?? there were only TWO of the bolts and ONE of them was LOOSE! what if that fell apart while i was driving?

anyway i took it apart to see the damage.. the outer magnets were scuffed but seem alright to use agian..

my problem is that when you take it apart there are two little spring mounted contacts in the front and when you try to put the copper coil back in the hole there is no way to hold the contacts in their shrouds against their springs and therefor you cant reassemble it!
can you pop the bearing cap out the back and use something flat to hold the contacts in place until the rest is solid and then re-install the bearing cap?
you are refering to the burshes and there springs being held into the housing when you try to reisntall the rotor.
most alts have a hole in the back of the case. (1/8") or so.

push both brushes down into where they sit with the springs behind them.
then stick a paper clip or a T pin through the back of the alt through that hole, and that will hold th eburshes down while you install the rotor. after its bolted toghter pull out the T pin and listen for them to snap against the shaft.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Volltage checked good, that's why I opted for bearing replacement. Also, call me cheap but six bucks sounds a lot better than $75. And to me it's not that hard disassemble. I found a local bearing shop that carries most popular ones. I just have to take it apart and bring the bearing to compare to be sure. Since it's my daily driver, I was hoping to get the bearing and replace it over the wkend. Now I have to take time from work to take care of it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
don't know about the later model alt's but the earlier ext reg and the early internal reg alt's used a standard 6203 bearing (coincidently so did the CH*vy alt's) pretty much a north american standard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts