Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just had the pleasue of cutting out my alternator in my 84 Bronco. And to my suprise when removed the bolt it it was screwed into a larger bolt/thingamajig that I cant get off. Went to a couple part stores to see if they had another one or knew what it was called so I could oreder it with no luck. Any of yall know what the bolt attachemt is called or have clever ideas of how to remove it?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,142 Posts
That's a threaded insert. Do you need it for the new alternator? Might be easier just to get another bolt.

You could try locking 2 nuts together on the insert, hold the bolt in a vise, heat the insert up with a plumber's torch, then use a wrench on the locked-together nuts and turn it off. Unless it's rusted really bad that should get it off.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,931 Posts
Hey all just had the pleasue of cutting out my alternator in my 84 Bronco. And to my suprise when removed the bolt it it was screwed into a larger bolt/thingamajig that I cant get off. Went to a couple part stores to see if they had another one or knew what it was called so I could oreder it with no luck. Any of yall know what the bolt attachemt is called or have clever ideas of how to remove it?

Thanks!
Yes, that is a head plug - it blocks off the narrow channel in the heads that leads to the AIR crossover pipe on the back of the engine (if equipped). Use two nuts, as @SRWillis mentioned, on the plug and then wrench 'lefty-loosey" on the one nearest the long bolt. It'll come off. Then screw that plug back into the head.

These are what you see there:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts