Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
College User
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today wheeling the top bolt in my alt bracket snapped off in the block. Can I secure it without this bolt, I will get pics but not tonight, it is dark, and I have just been towed 70+ miles home. I will try to remove the piece broke in the block, but if I cannot what ya think I should do? The bracket moves all around and threw off my serpentine into my fan, so it is not like I broke a useless bolt but the this is piviting from the bottom bolt and dont want to torque it down so it breaks too.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
I just replaced a broken bolt in my alt bracket, not too long ago, but I don't have a serpentine. I was able to get mine out, and use the remainder of the bolt... which is what I've chosen to do from now on... use bolts that are 1/2 - 5/8" too long, and space them out with washers. So, if it happens again, I'll be good to go

·
College User
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bolt is not flush with the engine though it broke recessed, I will try to drill it and use a tap set on it today.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
try drilling it out with left hand drill bits, with a reversible drill first. you can heat the bracket slihgtly with a propane torfch to help expand the bracket while you are drilling....
if that fails, try using an easy out, but be aware, if you break the easy out in the hole, your basically fugged.... the easy out is harder than any drill bit known to man.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
gobucs1 said:
The bolt is not flush with the engine though it broke recessed, I will try to drill it and use a tap set on it today.
Mine broke the same way. I used a small pin punch, and some light tapping with my hammer, to work out the broken stub

·
College User
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I got it all fixed now and hopefully it won't happen again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts