Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 90 Eddie Bauer with a 5.0 and i really need a bigger alternator... I think mines only like 80 amps or something like that and i have to run an electric plow, tons of lights, and 4000 watts of pure stereo. So im looking for an alternator thats atleast 200+ amps... Does anyone know where to get one? or what i should be looking for? i found something but i was wondering if i could find something better?

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/db-starter-alternator/items/item.aspx?itemid=1563440

Thanks, Ryan

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Ok so i have a 90 Eddie Bauer with a 5.0 and i really need a bigger alternator... I think mines only like 80 amps or something like that and i have to run an electric plow, tons of lights, and 4000 watts of pure stereo. So im looking for an alternator thats atleast 200+ amps... Does anyone know where to get one? or what i should be looking for? i found something but i was wondering if i could find something better?

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/db-starter-alternator/items/item.aspx?itemid=1563440

Thanks, Ryan
-!~IMPORTANT~!-
The alternator amperage output is controlled by the internal voltage regulator and will vary depending on battery state of charge and electrical load conditions. The alternator will not continually charge at a rate of 220 amps but will charge the battery back to full capacity.
interesting.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
That alternator that you linked to at DB Electrical's site appears to be a 3G with a bigger that usual rectifier pack built in. I can't comment on that alternator in particular other than to say that there are a LOT of guys on here who have done the 3G swap and love it, myself included. As to why they're rating theirs at such a high amperage, I really don't know. That is the first 3G I've ever seen rated over 200A. That said though, I've done business with those guys on many occasions and have nothing but good things to say about them. Very fast shipping and outstanding customer service.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, so im going with the alternator that i linked earlyer, and im basically doing my own kit. I'm ganna use either 0 or 2 Gauge for the charge wire with a 250 amp fuse and im ganna use maybe 2 or 4 gauge to add another battery somewhere... Thanks for everyones help! I love this site :D

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Read this link.

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=33

This is also the site that sells the 160amp alternators, heavy charge cables and anything else needed for the 3G swap. And many other parts also.
:stupid

According to Ryan's site, you could install a 5 billion amp alternator, but the most your 6 rib belt can put out is around 180 amps. Do what you wish, but it seems like a waste to get something you will never get the full potential of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts