Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
College User
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 200A Fireguy alt that is from around 2005 but only has a minimal hours of run time and less then 500 miles since installed in 2005 era. I finally have my Bronco with me and replaced the alt belt to a new one, touched the alt and burned my fingers. It was 180 degrees on the case 250+ internally after only a few minutes of run time. Opened it up and this is the inside. I know nothing about alternators so is this how it should look inside? Pic two a connection is possibly arcing across?

Auto part
Auto part Rotor Bicycle part Tool accessory Automotive engine timing part
Auto part Tool accessory Machine Automotive engine part

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
I'm not expert on these alternators but it looks like the diode pack burned up. Could be repaired if the coils are still good but probably better off getting a stock 160 amp.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,917 Posts
I'm not expert on these alternators but it looks like the diode pack burned up. Could be repaired if the coils are still good but probably better off getting a stock 160 amp.
I second this. Did it get mud inside or something?

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
77 Posts
If it "looks" burnt up, what part are you looking at, cause I don't see anything obvioulsy burn or overheated on that diode pack.. Was it charging?? Did you have to jump start it and maybe 200A was trying to charge the low or bad battery..?? That would cause some heat lol.. Would still check those bearing tho..

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Take it to a local rebuilder to see if it can be fixed. They do not charge much; my friend had a junkyard alternator rebuilt for less than $40.

Make sure you have that 3g wired up properly too. Need to use a larger charge cable with a fuse.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
If it "looks" burnt up, what part are you looking at, cause I don't see anything obvioulsy burn or overheated on that diode pack.. Was it charging?? Did you have to jump start it and maybe 200A was trying to charge the low or bad battery..?? That would cause some heat lol.. Would still check those bearing tho..
I think you need to take another look. There's char marks all around the wire connections, and the housing is actually blistered and bubbled from the internal connections.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts