Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some searching but not finding the info that I am looking for. I have a HD alternator on the Bronco. It has been there for almost 10 years now. I just recently had to replace it since the bearings were wearing out. I took it back to the same company (AIS in Van Nuys, CA) that I bought the original one from but I think they just gave me a off the shelf one not the custom built one that they did last time. It is supposed to be a 220amp (or so 200+ anyway)HD alternator externally regulated.

So what do I need... How can I test the thing to see what it is putting out, verify that the new regulator is adjusted right, and fix it if it is not?

The reason for asking is when I come to a stop (after the thing gets warm) with just the headlights and heater on I have very little power.

The regulator is a Transpo F540XHD. I have included pics of the beast as I am not sure what the part number is as it is listed a Ford Heavy Duty Alternator on the sales print out.

Any help would be great; I do not really want to take it back just yet as I did not trust them so I would like some tests to back up my theory.

Attachments

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I think he wants to test amp output, which he'll need to take it back to an alternator /starter shop. Most parts store can only check if the alternator is within a certian voltage range. They can't load test the alternator for max output.

I would sugest going back to the same company (AIS in Van Nuys, CA) and tell them you think the low speed output is too low

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.