Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife had to get the 96 bronco jumped today after leaving the lights on for a few hours. Battery was recently replaced but the AAA guy said the alternator was only putting out 11.5 and should be replaced. I kinda figured it wasn't long for this world but when tested a few months back was told by autozone it was at the bottom of the acceptable limit. All the wires are tight and as clean as can be expected. Is it worth upgrading to a 130 amp? All I found while searching was related to a 3G one from a mustang. Eventually I'd like to run 2 batteries but that's a few months out at the earliest. Local ford dealer didn't have one but can get it by Saturday for $237. Haven't looked at local parts stores or checked rock auto yet but if someone can recommend a good aftermarket I'd go that route.
Thanks again!
Brent

·
Registered
33 Posts
It would only be worth upgrading the alternator if you plan on running more electrical gizmos at once while the Bronco is running, like a ton of aftermarket lighting. If you plan on just running stock then you wouldn't need an upgrade but instead a replacement.

I guess I would like to know why you want to run two batteries at once?

Summit Racing has a 100 amp Powermaster alternator here...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-8-47100/overview/year/1996/make/ford/model/bronco

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run 2 in my Tacoma pre runner and like being able to have a back up down in baja or out in the desert. A dead battery in town is just a pain in the ass, in Mexico it's a huge issue if your off the beaten path. When I replaced the battery I did check and re tighten everything and hit it with contact cleaner but that may not have been enough I'm learning. I'm kinda thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace the wire from the battery to the alternator since it shouldn't be too expensive and a larger gauge might help?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And down the road I do plan on adding a gps and race radio, 50" led bar and maybe 2 hid's on the bumper but have a bunch of other upgrades before I get into lighting. Just seams like a good idea to upgrade the alternator now rather than replace it with a stock then need to do it again. Can you guys recommend a replacement? And your definitely right about the training at the zone but I got what I paid for I guess.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Is there anywhere I can find a 130amp new? Do the ones off the late 90's crown vic's bolt up and are they plug and play? Don't have a great selection at the junk yards close to me. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I haven't tried these guys yet but I have a couple of friends that swear by their quality of parts and customer service.

http://alternatorparts.com/

·
Bronco Snob
2,299 Posts
Just upgrade to a 130 amp, for goodness sake.:smilie_slap:goodfinge read through this thread, cuz learnin is cool. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26658 go to a junkyard, slap down $9 for an alternator, either have it tested and install it...or use it for a core in exchange for a new unit....easy, peasy.........um, Asian American.:duh.good luck :thumbup

3g 130 amp alt, and Saginaw p.s. pump are the 2 most beneficial upgrades for me, so far. Hydro boost will be next.:thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
9 bucks for an alternator?

·
Bronco Snob
2,299 Posts
Actually, $13.... $4 core...copy and pasted this partial price list. :thumbup

Electrical

Part Type Price Car Price Van/PU Core Charge
Computer/Modules $13.00 $8.00
Alternator/Generator $9.00 $4.00
Voltage Regulator $3.00
Starter $9.00 $4.00
Starter Solenoid $5.00
Point Distributor $17.00 $4.00
Electronic Distributor $17.00 $4.00
Distributor Cap $4.00
Coil, Each $3.00
Igniter Assembly $7.00
Cruise Module $13.00 $8.00
Gauge $3.00
Turn Signal Switch $9.00
Ignition Switch $4.00
Air Mass Sensor $13.00 $8.00
Electrical Switch $3.00(per function) $15.00 max
Battery $38.00 $38.00 $13.0

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Thanks! Is there anywhere I can find a 130amp new? Do the ones off the late 90's crown vic's bolt up and are they plug and play? Don't have a great selection at the junk yards close to me. Thanks again!
Explorers and mountaineers have the side mount 130 (or is it 160?) amp 3g. Those are still plentiful in every junkyard I go to.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The zone doesn't require any ASE certification, or a college degree, or any knowledge of how a vehicle or alternator works. They hire people who can't get work as burger-flippers or sign-spinners. And the parts they sell are in the same league.
The AZ near me has some smart-ish people but I've heard of a few that hire girls from the local hooters to attract customers. I know you're in denial about AZ actually selling good stuff and some of their stuff is shit, but I've bought Timken bearings there and their serp belts are Gates or Goodyear (can't remember which, just read an article talking about them switching suppliers from one to the other). It's not a black and white issue.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Steve83 - How do you really feel about the AZ, don't hold anything back!

;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts