Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a little searching and heard some ideas, just wondering what answers I can get here.

When driving at any amount of throttle my Amps gauge shows roughly16-17 volts. Very close to the 18 volt mark. When stopped in gear and brake applied the volts drop pretty drastically down to around 10-12 amps on the gauge. Sometimes just rolling down any of the windows, especially the rear, is enough to drop the volts to that level while driving and more drastic while parked.

I've got a 850 cca battery installed middle of summer '07.
I read in a couple of posts that possibly the diodes are wore out in the alternator? I have no clue,...

Are there any conclusive tests I can run with a volt meter?

I hear lots about a 3G alternator install, maybe this is the time to do it?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts
not to be an ass, and i dunno about the gauge but i think it's funny that your "amp" gauge (which a didn't exist in an f-series after 86) is showing "volts".

in both my 88 bronco and 96 F150 the gauge never moved more than a couple of letters. well the 96 did go haywire when the battery shorted itself out and i had to jump it. then the gauge was all over the place.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Have a load test done on the system. That should tell you whether it's actually fluctuating as bad as the gauge indicates.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not to be an ass, and i dunno about the gauge but i think it's funny that your "amp" gauge (which a didn't exist in an f-series after 86) is showing "volts". QUOTE]

you know, i didn't even think about it when i wrote the damn thing. It's volt gauge,..obviously...and it reads volts not amps,...sorry for being De De Dee for a moment.

What's a load test? I'll do a search,...

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you take it to a shop, they hook up a set of cables to a machine which puts a full load on the charging system while recording how much it can put out.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Or, if you want to throw parts at it, try the flux capacitor first:histerica

Seriously, get it diagnosed. probably save you money in the long run (and maybe the short run too)

Cheers

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts