Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I can get some scrap aluminum at a decent price. My floors have about a hundred poor patches from the PO. Is it worth replacing major sections with aluminum sheet so it'll never rust again? A buddy has a metal break, so I would consider doing other parts as well. How would I attach it (rivets and panel adhesive?)? Will be too weak? I pretty much have to replace most of my floor anyway. I know drag cars use aluminum floors, any input on a fsb? As of now, I do not have a cage.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if it were me, i'd do what JBfab said.

BUT, if you have the time, patience, money, and right tools, Y not??

if you are using quality grade sheet like 7075, or equivelant, then strength is no worry..

attaching the alluminum to your body can be done multiple ways. but easiest and most common is like you said...

if your go this route, be sure to add pics:thumbup

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
aluminum doesn't rust,but it corrodes like crazy ,specially when exposed to salt and crap from winter driving

it also corrodes nice where it meets the steel if not treated properly

and the floor is structural, and unless you really do it properly,it will affect strength of the tub

a lot of drag cars have aluminum floors,but they are also not relying on them for strength as a body shell as most will probably have a tube frame that they are just covering

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you guys have pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I'm on the hunt for a tub, but living in eastern PA makes that almost impossible. If any one knows of a decent 78-79 tub...;). I'll probably end up making some aluminum interior panels for now and doing a steel floor. I'm a decent welder, but I'll sure become a pro in a hurry with this tub.

My goal is to save a little cash by not having to purchase new floor sections and possibly have them rot out down the road (or trail).

On another note: What do you guys think about bed lining floors? Both interior and possibly as an undercoating? How about the inside of the fenders, and how would por15 compare in these situations?

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Bring the truck into 2015 with an all aluminum body :D

How badass would a complete aluminum tub and body be o.0

Obviously with a steel cage or reinforcement where needed lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bring the truck into 2015 with an all aluminum body :D

How badass would a complete aluminum tub and body be o.0

Obviously with a steel cage or reinforcement where needed lol
That would be crazy cool. If only i had some sponsors, haha. So i'm going to start taking donations. personal checks are accepted. :toothless

·
Registered
728 Posts
I recently received a catalog, in the mail, that had the patch panels, for the floor, for less than LMC truck sells them for. I forget the name of it. I will have to check when I get home.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,633 Posts
'73 F250 w/LMC floor-patch panels welded in. Coated with MonstaLiner and '08 SuperDuty seat modified to fit. Well worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
looks great Pepe

I think I remember a pile of yrs back that someone was either making or looking to make a glass tub for 78-79 bronco tub ,one of the 4 wheeler mags in mid 90 's

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What part of eastern PA are you in? I know of two places you might be able to sorce a good floor. #1 would be call Collis truck parts, they are just outside Northampton, PA. #2 would be checking out new ringold's ez-pull-n-save. Its a you pull it yard and last time i was there there was at least a dozen 78/79 bronco's. Not sure if the same vintage F series has the same floor forward of the B pillars but there are many of those there to.

Hey steve! Are the floors the same in the F series and bronco for the first year fsb's?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks good BikerPepe. I'm hoping for a similar end result.

I was actually thinking about glass parts/ a glass tub. Glass fenders, maybe. I cant find a tub though. i'm sure that would me many times the cost of my rig, ha!

JBfab, i'm near Allentown. Thanks for the leads. ill have to give them a call. The couple places i tried didn't have anything.

ill try to get a couple pics tomorrow to show you all what i'm working with. Most of the rust is in areas without patch panels available. i think the pans in front of the seats were replaced, but I've been scared to look under my floor mats, lol. I know ill have to at least throw some bondo down for now since its getting inspected Wednesday.:thumbup

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have 3 floor patch panels here (2 from LMC and one from canadacross) and the label say 67-79 ford f series.
This is what they sell for the 78-79 bronco and its an ''exact match''.
Marc

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool am i few minutes north of allentown if you need a hand with anything.
Thanks man. I'm hoping to dive into this shortly, so i may shoot you a message:beer

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 3 floor patch panels here (2 from LMC and one from canadacross) and the label say 67-79 ford f series.
This is what they sell for the 78-79 bronco and its an ''exact match''.
Marc
Good to know. Im trying to keep this as low buck as is reasonable for the time being, and i would think i would find deals of f series panels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I would like to fix the floor bracing before welding in patches. I was planning on wire wheeling and por15-ing what I could get to from the underside and what I cut out. How much do I have to worry about the bracing rotting? Should I cut up the floor to coat all the bracing? Tbh, I'm not positive on how the floor is attached to the bracing. I'm thinking spot welds which would suck to have to undo and redo,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just found the rear 2/3 of a 78/79 bronco tub in Iowa on eBay. You'll see it if you search "bronco rear clip". its exactly what i need, but its too far for me. if any of you do shipping, id be interested in having it shipped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts