Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the current options what is the best aluminum radiator for the money? I defaulted to Ron Davis and almost died when I was quoted over $1000 for the radiator. I could justify it on a full blown sports car but not the bronco.

Has anyone used the cold case radiators? I searched here and the Ford trucks forum. Nothing on them. I ran one in my ls2 gto and was really impressed. I've seen numerous people say the champion radiators leak.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
442 Posts
I used a autozone special and so far so good lol. Sorry I can’t give an opinion on a higher end radiator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,838 Posts
I put a Champion into my 78 not too long ago. I haven't used it much yet, so it'll require some time to tell if it's going to spring a leak like some of those reviews suggest. I'm not sure if the leaks people are experiencing are actually due to poor quality or if they are due to guys running incompatible coolant, if they have an electrolysis issue, or if they didn't install things properly.

So far mine's been fine. The whole system is holding pressure well. I can run the engine up to temp, shut it off, come back the next day and open the radiator cap and still get a nice pressure release. I do know that I will be adding some additional grounds in my engine bay to hopefully help in the electrolysis department.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,794 Posts
I have 3 champion radiators. All 3 have been fine. 1 in a 92 bronco, 1 in a 96 f-250, and 1 in my 78 bronco.
However I have read of 1 issue on here with a tank crack, after several years.
That said I have not bought 1 in the last year, so possible that quality has slipped.

In an EFI truck the 5.8 or 5.0 radiator with tow package is a decent piece, seemingly same one as 460 trucks have.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Im running a universal BeCool aluminum radiator in mine. Though since its a 300 with coolant inlets opposite the SBF, Im using one designed for a Chevy. It has a dual 1" core and triple pass design. It was like 300 bucks, and was fairly easy to adapt into the bronco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts