Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm working on a 96 bronco, 351, e4od, 229,000 miles.

i am going to do a transmission filter change and add the filter clip. i had an idea of adding a shift kit. the transmission shifts pretty well right now.

my concern is that it's so old that if i mess with it, i'll break it. am i being paranoid? or should i just let it go as-is and worry about a shift kit if/when i ever have to rebuild the transmission?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If my E40D had 2k + on it and was still shifting fine I would leave it be. You can always upgrade when/if it finally kicks the bucket.
I gotta concur. If its shifting fine, dont mess with it. At a quarter of a MILLION miles, that transmission doesnt have long to live, so adding additional stress to it is a good way to get it to kick the bucket.

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Well, a shift kit reduces shift overlap and doesn't allow the clutches and steels in the transmission to grind on each other as much. Thus, to a degree, it helps extend the life of the tranny. Less heat from friction and a lower contact period between engagements = longer life of consumable parts.

However, it puts added stress on all your other stuff (u-joints, bearings, gears, axle shafts, etc.) from the sharp hit of the firmer shifting, depending on the level of apply force the kit is designed for.

You could do a shift kit now, but just be sure to keep the valve body in good shape when it's rebuild time. If you hire out to have your stuff rebuilt, make sure you inform the tech that you have a shift kit. That way he doesn't lose parts that end up falling out because he doesn't expect them to be there. In many shift kits there are check-balls and springs that get moved around in the valve body and vary from the stock location.

My $0.02,
Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
Brother silver70 is right, a tranny with a shift kit that isnt abused will outlast one without if both driven the same

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, you guys are hitting my basic concerns/thoughts as well. i suppose i'll just leave it alone (outside of the transmission filter).

thanks for the input.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
just save up for a new Bullet Proof E4OD. You can get them from places online like. Level10, Pauls truck service, transmission center, monster transmission. They can range in price from 1500-over 5000 depending on how much HP and Torque you plan on putting to it. Or you can find a good local shop and tell them what you want. Even a mildly overbuilt replacement should last longer than a stock rebuild with a stock motor.

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
I did a shift kit in my 96 e4od with 230k. It worked great and replaced a couple broken springs in the valvebody. fixed a weird 2-3 shift that I didn't even think was bad

The problem I had was the tranny parts store I got my valvebody gasket gave me one for a pre96. It blocked a few spots it flows through. Also I eventually stepped up to a Punisher valvebody which must have had something wrong with it. The combination of the 2 eventually made me reverse go out. Right now I got the gasket corrected and swapped back to the shift kit valvebody because it makes my reverse work just enough to drive till I'm ready to rebuild

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
As of now it drives amazingly in the forward gears though. I don't think doing the kit will hurt it if it's done right. Everyone is scared about touching a worn tranny. The idea I go by is that the springs and valves get stuck due to new fluids detergents breaking debris free. But if you clean the valves it probably won't be a problem. You might even change the fluid Then drive for awhile then do the kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts