Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after tons of research and waiting I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Diehard Platinum yesterday. I checked online saw it was in stock and available and drove down to get it. Turns out the Auto Service center is closed on Sundays. No problem, I don't need service, I just want to buy the battery off the shelf. Sears will not ring up the battery anywhere but in the Auto Center. I tried to reason with an assistant manager... I am trying to hand you $, take it, just ring me up. No good. I told them there are a dozen other places in town that will happily take my cash on a Sunday.

I know, minor inconvenience, my rant isn't having to wait 24 hours for the battery. Sears is circling the drain and their response is decreased customer service and the absolute pimping out of their legendary brand names? Chinese Craftsman tools for the same price? And what about the legendary Diehard warranty? Don't let it die on a weekend I guess.

So, I have to move my batteries between my trucks so I can go to work Monday and figured I'd grab the battery today. I leave work a bit early and guess what? The Auto Center is closed today too. Computer problems. Again, they refuse to ring the battery up at any other cash register. Its right there on the shelf, they won't take my money. :banghead The sad part is there was this Mexican dude there with a Diehard for exchange and they were fighting with him too. He is clearly a working guy, there with his kids telling them, "I need a battery today, I can't miss another day of work". Dumb kid just keeps repeating "computer is down".

Wow, f Sears. I have been a Sears fanboy since I was old enough to buy tools and batteries there in the early 90s. I am tired of rooting for them, tired of trying to find reasons for buying their declining quality of product. This is customer service? I am pretty sure batteries were sold before point of sale computers. Give the dude a battery, new or refurbished to get him going. I really felt for him, I was just mad about my stupid rock crawler and this guy is trying to feed his family. Walmart and others are kicking Sears teeth in and they don't change anything, or even gotten worse. And the warranty on the Diehard? What is it worth if their hours are so crappy?

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
If something doesn't seem right or ethical, it's, probably, not. You, sir, are justified in your rant. "Customer service" doesn't mean the customer is, always, right, but, it does mean the customers' concerns should be put first.

They should have done something.

Eric

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
So after tons of research and waiting I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Diehard Platinum yesterday. I checked online saw it was in stock and available and drove down to get it. Turns out the Auto Service center is closed on Sundays. No problem, I don't need service, I just want to buy the battery off the shelf. Sears will not ring up the battery anywhere but in the Auto Center. I tried to reason with an assistant manager... I am trying to hand you $, take it, just ring me up. No good. I told them there are a dozen other places in town that will happily take my cash on a Sunday.

I know, minor inconvenience, my rant isn't having to wait 24 hours for the battery. Sears is circling the drain and their response is decreased customer service and the absolute pimping out of their legendary brand names? Chinese Craftsman tools for the same price? And what about the legendary Diehard warranty? Don't let it die on a weekend I guess.

So, I have to move my batteries between my trucks so I can go to work Monday and figured I'd grab the battery today. I leave work a bit early and guess what? The Auto Center is closed today too. Computer problems. Again, they refuse to ring the battery up at any other cash register. Its right there on the shelf, they won't take my money. :banghead The sad part is there was this Mexican dude there with a Diehard for exchange and they were fighting with him too. He is clearly a working guy, there with his kids telling them, "I need a battery today, I can't miss another day of work". Dumb kid just keeps repeating "computer is down".

Wow, f Sears. I have been a Sears fanboy since I was old enough to buy tools and batteries there in the early 90s. I am tired of rooting for them, tired of trying to find reasons for buying their declining quality of product. This is customer service? I am pretty sure batteries were sold before point of sale computers. Give the dude a battery, new or refurbished to get him going. I really felt for him, I was just mad about my stupid rock crawler and this guy is trying to feed his family. Walmart and others are kicking Sears teeth in and they don't change anything, or even gotten worse. And the warranty on the Diehard? What is it worth if their hours are so crappy?
The quality of just about everything seems to be going down, both products and customer service. I don't have a tons of craftsman stuff but what I do have is older and I'm happy with it. I buy alot of stuff online, research everything well in advance to the point where I'm walking in knowing exactly what I want and exactly what needs to happen for me to get that. Its either that or sheer dumb luck I don't have many issues with customer service. That said, If I'm not getting cheap tools I'm usually holding out and buying higher end used ones some guy is selling cheap off craigslist. I've pretty much decided that with the way things are going you'd be better off buying older used stuff 90% of the time. Now about the battery, the Motorcraft batteries come with a kickass warrenty, and Ford dealers keep them in stock. 2 days before a camping trip I drove into the nearest ford dealer, they tested my battery and sold me a Brand new Motorcraft Max battery, no bullshit. As a bonus it has red on it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Surprisingly enough Motorcraft brand batteries, so I've read, are supposed to be some of the best on the market, it's obviously rebranded from the company that really makes them.

You're better off buying old tools and toolsets from flea markets, ebay, and craigslist with the nice U.S.A stamped on them. That's what I do. They will continue to be good long after you yourself turn to dust.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. After a beer or 5 I am over it. As for the MC TTM battery, that was my second choice anyway and I will be going to Babbitt Ford tomorrow. Steve, the batteries aren't on sale at my dealer but thanks for the link. I have seen you post that before and appreciate the effort you out into this stuff.

I am a HUGE craigslist junkie and have had great luck accumulating tools there and on eBay. That said, I still can't help but lament the decline of Sears. Another once great American name down the tubes. Oh well, no time to dwell on it I guess, I got shit to do!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,662 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
i love me some sears, but there's no denying that they're declining, and have been for some time. they have ridiculous policies, like internet only pricing on certain items. so, if you see a price online and go in to buy it, the price in store may be higher. but they can't price match in the store. you have to buy online and pick up in the store. and their lobster claw wrenches are a joke. i'm pretty set on tools, but i have started buying armstrong wrenches as i upgrade what i have. they're american made and highly affordable relative to snap-on, etc.

for batteries, though, i've long been committed to interstate. interstate has a really strong warranty, and i've rarely had problems. they're also available at a number of retailers (including firestone, which has good hours as well as the ability to find the battery model you need in another firestone store if the one you're in or the one you call doesn't carry it)

also, i'm in dallas and they are headquartered here. so maybe they have a stronger presence than in other cities? i don't know. but i do know there's a huge distribution center close enough that it's worth the drive to go there. they almost always volunteer a really nice deal on the price.

TLDR; i love sears but i feel like i'm watching a loved one suffer through a slow death & interstate batteries are great

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Thanks guys. After a beer or 5 I am over it. As for the MC TTM battery, that was my second choice anyway and I will be going to Babbitt Ford tomorrow. Steve, the batteries aren't on sale at my dealer but thanks for the link. I have seen you post that before and appreciate the effort you out into this stuff.
My dealership gave me a mail in rebate (which they mailed in) which brought the price down to around the same as a parts house battery. I was pretty happy about that. Around same price I normally pay but a way better battery.
Even without any deal they come out to around $150, Which IMHO isn't bad considering a cheap one is $120.
I am a HUGE craigslist junkie and have had great luck accumulating tools there and on eBay. That said, I still can't help but lament the decline of Sears. Another once great American name down the tubes. Oh well, no time to dwell on it I guess, I got shit to do!
Craigslist is a veritable gold mine if you know what to look for. I traded a cheap weedeater I wasn't even doing anything with for a Portable Craftsman air compressor. A nice one too, not the junky ones. I get some pretty nice lawn equipment for next to nothing often too, though I usually sell it.
Even if sears burns to the ground I'll hold onto my old Craftsman stuff. They still made good shit before they tried to compete with the lowest common denominator.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I kinda stopped going to sears because every time I go to pay they want email/phone number and want me to sign up for credit cards I don't want or need, just want to pay for my stuff and leave.
Alot of places seem to be doing that now. Parts stores, Home Depot, you name it. No, I don't want a home depot credit card, dealing with 1 is a PITA enough.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts
Die Hard batteries used to be my favorite. But the last time my battery only lasted 2 years 9 months and they gave me a new one but said the warranty continues for the previous one purchased. So I got a new Die Hard Gold battery with a 3 month warranty "Free Replacement". They even put it in the notes so there's no more "Free Replacement". This battery is the last Die Hard I'll get. Been getting my batteries from them for over 20 years.......

If I get it replaced under pro-rated, I expect the battery to have a full new warranty but it won't.

That's

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Die Hard batteries used to be my favorite. But the last time my battery only lasted 2 years 9 months and they gave me a new one but said the warranty continues for the previous one purchased. So I got a new Die Hard Gold battery with a 3 month warranty "Free Replacement". They even put it in the notes so there's no more "Free Replacement". This battery is the last Die Hard I'll get. Been getting my batteries from them for over 20 years.......

If I get it replaced under pro-rated, I expect the battery to have a full new warranty but it won't.

That's
This is the way most battery warranty works, the Motorcraft batteries I sell are like this as well. If you get free replacement or pro-rate the warranty start date stays at the original purchase date.

If it wasn't set up like this, every single person that ever purchased a battery would be getting it replaced for free every 3 years under warranty, the battery companies wouldn't make any money!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,094 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
FWIW most of the batteries mentioned in this thread Sears, Interstate, Motorcraft are all made by Johnson Controls. The rest is marketing, luck of the draw, weather and use conditions. Assuming you're staying in the same battery grade across the different brand labels stuck on them - most have 3 levels.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I manage a shopping mall, and our Sears is the same way. I speak to the manager there weekly, and he is completely clueless. It is no surprise to me that Sears is struggling as a company. It is very sad to see, but they have done it to themselves. Now they are running around like a chicken with its head cut off to try to save the sinking ship, and in my opinion it is way to little, way too late. They should have been adapting all along, and keeping up with quality, instead of trying to just ride along on the reputation they built for themselves from the 1890's to the 1980's.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sears got bought by Kmart in 2005, then Kmart renamed and reorganized their parent company to "Sears Holding" in order to fool everyone. That was the beginning of the drastic downward spiral. Not to say they didn't make poor decisions before then but at least they weren't simply milking the Sears name for all its worth until it's completely devalued and sold for scrap.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,274 Posts
I believe their Platinum series is the AGM made by Northstar, same as our X2 line, and we're open Sunday :thumbup

The way the warranty is designed is that if it is replaced under the "free replacement" period, the warranty continues from the purchase date. If it is replaced via "pro-rata" then you SHOULD get to start fresh with a new warranty from that date. At least that's how we do it and most others follow the same guidelines.
The other side of warranty is that a lot of companies purchase the batteries in lieu of warranty in which case they "eat" any warrantable batteries to save cost on the front end to keep prices down. (this will be based on quality and rate of return) The other part is that most "pro-rate" warranties are also absorbed by the distributor(store) that you are purchasing from. The manufacturer typically is only covering batteries within the free replacement period. So moral of the story is, how well you are taken care of on a warranty claim will greatly depend upon the quality of the battery/how the distributor is taken care of by the manufacturer/and that particular associate or managers ability to give good customer service

Be careful with the Interstate batteries as once they combined with Johnson Controls some of their manufacturing is now done in Mexico. This is the same reason in quality decline with Optima. If you really want the Interstate, just make sure they are "made in the USA". If they are they are usually pretty proud to put in on there so it should be easy to spot.

I'm not sure who is manufacturing the Motorcraft. I know that our Duracell line is the best quality on the market for standard wet cells (made in the USA at East Penn)

Our local Sears shut down about 18 months ago and re-opened a smaller store on the other end of town. Only has appliances and a handful of tools.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,662 Posts
Craftsman tools are now available at many different, authorized retail outlets.
Our local ACE now carries a number of Craftsman tools. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts