Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a new camera and was playing around with it. So here is a nice hobby of mine some of you know about. Its also the only hobby I have that SAVES me money.

Its RELOADING. Basically taking my old shell casings (ammo minus the bullet and powder) and reloading it myself to get a whole new cartridge. So here is my process. Youll appreciate it next time we go shooting at the cabin and have the handgun. :wink:
My little bench in the corner of the shed, Press on the left (main character) Powder thrower and drug scale in the back

Some Assembly required. Left to right, Primer, cartridge,powder (no not that much goes in), bullet, DONE

first stroke (ahhh yea) pops the old primer out down this chute into the basin, makes a cool noise, Also resizes the case (burning powder in case when fired causes expansion)

Looks like this when done

Priming tool, gives good feel as when the primer is seated, holds 100 CCI primers,

When done

My drug scale and thrower, it throws out a pretty accurate amount of powder once set so you dont have to weigh EVERY ONE

this die expands the case neck to accept a bullet (ahhh yea) and you can pour powder through it

This one sets the bullet in place. Set the depth and away you go

This thing is nifty, notice a cartridge in the left. You bang the thing on the groud and it pulls the bullet and powder out

notice bullet now on the right

Last step is a light crimp, just for sturdiness. This is a nice crimp die, doesnt need a cannelure (groves in the bullet) and helps resize on the way out to prevent case bulging

All done, lookin good next to a factory-replica dud I made ( no primer or powder)

50 down, labeled, and 50 I did before. 100 total for now. :mrgreen:

Thanks for lookin. Its definatly nice and relaxing and feels good seeing 50 cartridges done in front of you. Plus it helps teach precision, as if the powder is off, or the bullet is too deep, you can have some serious problems.

Feel free to give tips and such that you see fit. Im learning as I go.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,392 Posts
nice! my grandpa got me started on reloading and guns for that matter.

this is way cheaper and more satisfying than buying new ammo every time

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
i have almost everything i need to fire up the chucker, just need something to bolt it too (no garage or workbench)
BTW i see you only have one book out, are you checking the loads in 2 or three manuals? i've been advised it's a good practice to compare several manuals

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
My dad is big into the reloading stuff. He has about everything you need for multiple calipers. He bought a large assortment from someone who was giving it up and added from there.

I am too lazy, easily bored, impatient, not worried about accuracy to spend the time to reload. I would rather walk up to Walmart or wherever and say give me 5 boxes of those and pull the trigger.

I'm not knocking your hobby at all. I just don't have the time or patience to reload.

·
Wanna see my
4,448 Posts
Looks good.

I bought my dad one of the fancy reloaders that does it all like that. Its still in the box and never used, and this was a few yrs ago. He has nowhere to bolt it down to, but then again thats his excuse i guess. Begged for it and never used it.

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
Looks good.

I bought my dad one of the fancy reloaders that does it all like that. Its still in the box and never used, and this was a few yrs ago. He has nowhere to bolt it down to, but then again thats his excuse i guess. Begged for it and never used it.
I'll be happy to take that off his hands. :toothless

awesome i keep wanting to get into it but I guess i'm a lil bit paranoid about doin my own how does it stack up difficulty wise to traditional black powder
With black powder, you typically pour it directly into the gun...and black powder is much more explosive than smokeless powder (in fact, smokeless powder is not even classified as an explosive...it's considered a flammable solid)

I was nervous at first also; just follow the directions and you get the hang of it pretty quick. :thumbup

good thing he didn't have an rcbs
:lolup Agreed...Dillon sounds much better than Rock Chucker. :histerica

·
The Thread Killer
3,212 Posts
6.0 grs. of Unique is what I use in my .44 Specials. :thumbup

I load my .45 ACP rounds with 5.4 grs. of W231. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it...W231 burns very clean and meters real smoothly.

I would also recommend trying plated bullets (available from Berry's Mfg., Ranier and others) vs. FMJ for target practice...they're cheaper than jacketed bullets and you can reduce the load slightly while still achieving the same velocity. A lot of reloading manuals don't have data for plated bullets, but if you take the data for a jacketed bullet and a lead bullet of the same weight in a given cartridge, you can just split the difference.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'll be happy to take that off his hands. :toothless

With black powder, you typically pour it directly into the gun...and black powder is much more explosive than smokeless powder (in fact, smokeless powder is not even classified as an explosive...it's considered a flammable solid)

I was nervous at first also; just follow the directions and you get the hang of it pretty quick. :thumbup

:lolup Agreed...Dillon sounds much better than Rock Chucker. :histerica
yeah I shoot traditional black powder I was just lookin for a difficulty comparitive

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
what is the savings vs. buying at say, walmart?

how much of an investment in the equipment is there?

finally, how long does it take to reload 50 bullets, for example?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
My dad is big into the reloading stuff. He has about everything you need for multiple calipers. He bought a large assortment from someone who was giving it up and added from there.

I am too lazy, easily bored, impatient, not worried about accuracy to spend the time to reload. I would rather walk up to Walmart or wherever and say give me 5 boxes of those and pull the trigger.

I'm not knocking your hobby at all. I just don't have the time or patience to reload.
speaking solely about rifle below:
i can see that beater... it makes sense... and for the average guy there is no reason to reload rounds unless your building special stuff... (i know this info for rifle only, maybe pistol is the same) but for the most part if your gonna rebuild 12/box remington core lok .308 bullets your not gonna save anything... maybe a few pennies per/bullet... its just not worth it to rebuild the rounds that walmart sells for so cheap

the saving factor comes in at ballistics, HP, armor piercing and matched weight...also reloading your own allows you to adjust certain parameters in the bullets construction, ie: grain count, tip length etc etc... you can basically form your casing to what is best for your gun..
why go through all the trouble?
well the walmart style rem core-lok bullets you can buy for 12 bux... they are good for 100 yards out to maybe 300... after that its time to consider some better and more precise ammo...
the aerodynamics and other parameters of matched quality ammunition gives them a consistent accuracy that isnt arguable... a spread at 100 yds might be 1.5 inches with core lock, change to match grade and your probably sub 1/2" (with a decent rifle)...now 1.5" seems like enough... however go out to 500 yards and that number may look like 10.5 inches... enough to miss the kill zone of a target

lastly.. match grade ammo is about $35-$50 a box... quite expensive... by reloading ourselves we can drammatically cut that cost... and build a round that matches the specific rifles needs...

thats just why i do it... strictly for rifle.. im building an m24-a2 style marines gun right now... ill be slinging these rounds out to about 1200 yds...accuratley:D

dc

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
jackhart... if your using mid grade and lower ammo... there is virtually no savings... when you start building custom sized or matched ammo... then you save
Not exactly...depends on what rounds you're shooting. If you're shooting 223, then you might be close with surplus ammo, although it has been gettin driven up, if you're shooting 22-250 you'll save a buttload...just 2 examples

1 - 20 of 34 Posts