Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basicly title says it all 1987, 5.0 trying to find a place to get threw the firwall with a 1/2 inch wide power wire most everything else that i have installed i've been able to use an extra gromit whole from factory, pull the plug and run it threw, looking around under the not seeing any around. Don't mind drilling a whole threw just not seeing anywere that really fits the bill well, seached threw threads not really seeing related info. I know that thiers some of you out thier already going boom boom boom, mind replying as to were the posivite lead runs threw teh firewall. :whiteflag
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,857 Posts
on my 85 I went right down the right side of the vehicle...remove rt kick plate and drilled hole thru fire wall than ran under carpet to back of vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,895 Posts
I 2nd that.. Bob.. you have all the answers don't ya? :p
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Me too

I ran the #4 through a rubber grommet I'd had forever. Click again on the photo and you can just make out the grommet;



After that things go towards that underfloor storage compartment (covered in the striped shirt;



This is what the #4 wire feeds;



Is your alternator up to the job ?

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the in put taking the bronk into my brothers work so i can get teh hub's changed out -3 outside atm figured i'd get the cable run while it's in a heated work space.
Not upgrading the alternator as of yet truck has power windos locks and stuff figure it should be a high output factory jobber not real sure further investigation will claer that up though.
thank you all for the input will let ya's know how it goes Friday. :beer
NIce looking installl ya got going thier BTW :rockon
 

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
I ran mine threw the top left side of the passenger footwell,already a hole there.


EDIT: Top right side of the footwell if youre sitting in the passenger seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
i ran mine through the gromet on the pasenger side floor too. but how did yall get your front seats out? i know there are bolts but hell if mine wouldn't come out. i can break them loose but as i loosen them they get hard to turn? anyone else had this problem? i need to get them out this summer when i re do the electrical for the sterio and other things.
 

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
I didn't have to remove my seat to get to where im talking about. All I had to do was pull the carpet back. Its almost on the firewall.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
jam0o0 said:
i ran mine through the gromet on the pasenger side floor too. but how did yall get your front seats out? i know there are bolts but hell if mine wouldn't come out. i can break them loose but as i loosen them they get hard to turn? anyone else had this problem? i need to get them out this summer when i re do the electrical for the sterio and other things.
Climb on underneath with the wire brush in the drill

clean the threads on the exposed bolts and then lube em' with your favourite lube.

If they still spin the you are in trouble, as huge Ba$turds, like me, bust out the threads in the fixed nuts real easy. I had my welding buddy fill the holes and I redrilled and re-tapped them.

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
yea i didn't need to take out the seats to run the wire first time either. but this time i'm gunna be running CB, rear speakers, subs, neons. all the wires for those. plus i need to fix the power wire for the cooling fan for my center console. so i have a lot to do and i think it would just be easier to take the seats out. plus i need to get the ground from the seat bolt to the frame so i need to clean that anyway. thanks six.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
i have 4 parallel bonded 4ga jumper wires ran from the battery, down along the passenger side frame, up into the channel under the rear seat lock down thingamabob. from there two go left in the channel, exit at the end of the rear seat and back. the other two go right in the channel, exit at the other end of the seat and back. both go into the false floor i made in back for my 4 amps.

i also used loom to protect the wire everywhere its outside the truck even though the insulation on that stuff is like 1/8 thick.

its great cuz i dont have a ton of wires running in the truck and it also helps reduce noise from the power wires being near the RCA patch cables.
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
jam0o0 said:
yea i didn't need to take out the seats to run the wire first time either. but this time i'm gunna be running CB, rear speakers, subs, neons. all the wires for those. plus i need to fix the power wire for the cooling fan for my center console. so i have a lot to do and i think it would just be easier to take the seats out. plus i need to get the ground from the seat bolt to the frame so i need to clean that anyway. thanks six.
My pleasure jam0o0

Between what Broncoman92 is describing

and little piece of electrical feece band to get you into the console, usually you don't need to pull the seats. If you're going to do that, consider pulling at least the front rug and doing this;



Here's the rest of the link;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=4970&s=19835#content

It works unbelieveably well and your rugs come out like new !

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,448 Posts
yea i was thinkign of putting some more sound insulation down on the floor wile i was rewiring. i have the insulation sitting around so it's no extra cost to put it under there. i'm going to be putting three amps and a 1 farad cap in somewhere around the location of the center console. i'm hoping to make a center console with a seat built into the top. and then find some seat belts for a rear middle seat and bolt those down at the same place as the current front seatbelts. so i have a middle jumper seat if i need it. my g/f doesn't like sitting so far away on long drives. ;) plus it would be nice to put my CB in a better place. i also plan to put a mount for my fire extinguisher and my winter snow brush thing on it somewhere. i have some neons left over from my old truck. (dodge dakota) so i might put thise in. not sure if i want to or not yet. ofcourse all this is just somethign to think about til i get home. even then i'll only have time on weekends and i'll probly try to make it ouf of scraps. my dad collects wood like it was gold. so our garage is full of plywood and MDF and stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the truck into the shop changed out the hubs to mile marker 402's and swaped out the battery for a 1000cc'er the 550 battery that came in the truck form cally just didn't like the cold weather here. Started getting phone calls one after the other desided to give up on power wire install the amp is still just riding around waiting for power :cry oh well maybe go play outside in and see how long it takes to freeze my toes, hopfully the wire stays plyable enuff to pull around gona find the gromit on the passanger side hopefull and make quick work of it thanks for teh info again :drinkbud
 

·
Practicing Infidel
Joined
·
15,308 Posts
Lurch said:
Got the truck into the shop changed out the hubs to mile marker 402's and swaped out the battery for a 1000cc'er the 550 battery that came in the truck form cally just didn't like the cold weather here. Started getting phone calls one after the other desided to give up on power wire install the amp is still just riding around waiting for power :cry oh well maybe go play outside in and see how long it takes to freeze my toes, hopfully the wire stays plyable enuff to pull around gona find the gromit on the passanger side hopefull and make quick work of it thanks for teh info again :drinkbud
You do have a fuse holder like this eh ?



or at least this;



It'd be a shame to burn the Bronco down

Sixlitre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
where is the fuse

Sixlitre said:
You do have a fuse holder like this eh ?



or at least this;



It'd be a shame to burn the Bronco down

Sixlitre
Getting ready to install stereoand amp read through your advice but got lost when i saw the fuse etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
i wired a amp in my fsb and ran the wire through the fire wall but had to drill a hole on the passenger side but make sure you wrap plenty of electrical tape or something around the wire where it goes through the hole so you dont fray the wire and short it out then get some silicone to plug the hole around the wire
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top