Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off dont flame on me, it is my birthday today and I have a question here.

I got a little bit of money as a gift and a few weeks ago some subwoofers in a box were given to me. They're nothing special so I was going to throw them in the back of the Bronco. I know the two 10"s together have a peak power of 1000watts, and the RMS is 500, so I am guessing thats 250 per sub...I really have no knowledge of this stuff whatsoever but my neighbor will be helping me wire it up when he gets home next week.

I was going to go pick up an amp today after I get off work here, I was just wondering what to look for to power that system because like I said, I am not well informed at all.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you're going to power subs go with an american made amp.. If you're going for mids/hi's in my opinion nothings cleaner than a jap amp.

Rockford and MTX make awesome affordable sub amps. Never had any issues with either.

·
Registered
409 Posts
your best bet is to pull one of the subs outta the box to see what the RMS is on the sub. Then go buy an amp accordingly

as fas as cheap amps go I have had good luck with California profile amps

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
What brand subs are they?
like cornfed was saying you can't go wrong with a rockford or mtx, I personally have all fockford amps and love them. You probly want to get an amp with a 1000w peak and keep it turned down a little. most places like pep boys and even best buy sell the wiring kit that is more than enough for a single amp system.

·
Erik
1,847 Posts
your best bet is to pull one of the subs outta the box to see what the RMS is on the sub. Then go buy an amp accordingly

as fas as cheap amps go I have had good luck with California profile amps
My California amp was awesome and it was cheap. I had that set up with a sub in my old dd, sold the truck, and now its just been sitting in a corner for almost a year. :banghead Need to get rid of it...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I got a little bit of money as a gift and a few weeks ago some subwoofers in a box were given to me.

They're nothing special so I was going to throw them in the back of the Bronco.
Seeing as you got "a little bit of money" and the subwoofers are "nothing special" AND you're going to leave them in the back for the world to see(steal), I'd recommend;

http://www.etronics.com/c-2336-amplifiers.aspx

Shouldn't break the bank and you'll be able to pump on down the road, like a ricer:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are duals....They were free and they are a temporary solution until I buy something else. I did plan on getting MTX's though if that helps any. I guess what I am asking is, if what I have now has an RMS of 500watts(100% for sure) what size amp and channel should I buy because thats what I do not understand I guess. It is probably really easy , I just honestly never messed with car audio until now.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Buy what you can afford. Dont skimp on wire. If you are going to go with 1000 watts rms and you lan to mount the amp in the back of the bronco, then you will need at least 2 awg wire. The best amp in the whole world aint dick w/o juice.

As far as builds go get a class D amp. They are not the cleanest but they are efficient and they are good for subs. As far as brand go, get the most for your dollar. Class D sub amps arent the most technical and worrying about s/n ratios and such isnt as big of a deal. So if an MTX amp costs a grand, and the comparable powered Pioneer is 800 just get the pioneer. Since you said it was a box that was "nothing special" then dont worry about spending "special" money on an amp.

Also, if you can, try and look at the CEA compliant benchmark sheet for the exact amp you are buying. Some of them may state 1000 watts rms, but on their CEA sheet they may have put out 1108 rms at 14.4 volts. So the idea here is to see if you can buy an amp that says its rated at 800 watts RMS, then find one with a CEA sheet of 912 watts @ 14.4 volts. No need to spend extra money for extra power if you dont need it.

I could go on and on, but car audio bores me. Back in the day I got my MECP certification, installed, read every book, was all bonered about it, but now it bores me to tears. If you have anymore questions and you want an answer that will be 100% honest just PM me.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
kicker is the TOTL brand imo. They have trusted quality products. Kenwood excelon, kicker, and boston acoustic I can vouch for. Go with a trusted name-brand. I wouldnt get punch, dual, alpine (imo), or anything of lesser quality

1 - 10 of 10 Posts