Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many amps does my electric fuel pump use from my underpowered factory alternator ? How about the headlights ? My bronco is a 1990 351w....... I am prolly going to do the alternator upgrade, I just was wondering where all the power was going. Like fer injectors.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Check your fuses and subtract some for a very rough estimate. For lights that have a wattage rating, you can calculate it. 55W /14.7V = 3.7A, or about 4A per light. And about the alternator upgrade, do it. it is reletively cheap and very effective.

·
Banned
11,496 Posts
Buy an inductive ammeter if you want to know exactly, but the biggest continuous users are the A/C blower, A/C clutch, headlights, & parking lights. Of course, the starter is the biggest, but it's only intermittent. The injectors don't pull much.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, I was planning on adding 2 100 watt lights so thats not too much- A winch, I assume pulls alot more. Any guesses on what an 8,000 lb. winch wouls pull when loaded ?.......... now thats GOTTA be some amp draw-

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
probably in the 100-130A range. I have a 160A and a 9500lb winch and the alt can keep up with the winch at full load if I keep the rpm at 2500.

I ran 2 150w lights on the stocker for a while, it kept up everywhere but idle, but with headlights, brakelights, blower and rear defrost on it was game over though.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i just went to the local alt. shop and told them to give me the biggest one they have it cost me about $200 (installed since it was 115 degrees out and i was lazy) and with my 2 amps sucking about 30 amps each the a/c going and the headlights on it still hangs in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.