Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to use some LED lights as indicators. I noticed their Amp rating is 30mA. I was wondering what fuse I should put in front of it. Anybody used any of these?

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yeah, but the problem is I've only seen fuses there down to 3 Amps so I'm wondering what others have used.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
STOP!!!!!!!!
Don't change any fuses, that's not your problem right now.

The LED lights don't need any fancy fuse protection, what they do need is a dummy load. If the lights are too small (0.3amps is too small) they will blink too fast.

Get a dummy load, or make sure the bulbs have a dummy laod in them :thumbup

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't change fuses? Blinking? Lemme give the scenario I was going to use it in because I think maybe I am being confusing about what I'm doing. Actually I'm not sure if the light was LED, I can't remember. What I'm trying to do is put an indicator light in that will be on if my electric fan is on high speed. I want it to be connected to the wire after the relay so if the relay goes bad I'll be able tell.

·
Banned
38,678 Posts
In that application, you don't really need a fuse. Just use small wires for the LED, and remember that you can't run a full 12V across it. You need a 400 Ohm resistor in series to limit the current to 0.030A.

·
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps. I'm only going by what I've seen at the auto store. Now how hot will that resistor get? Should I take care not to heat shrink wrap it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
LED Tailight bulbs

I had put LED bulbs for my tailights, first i bought some off ebay that turned back n forth, and flashed off n on wheni hit the brakes, and they were illigal, they didnt say lit when i held the brake just flashh off n on, and after i got rearended:brownbag , i decided to buy regular ones.

I went to Autozone and bought some that fit, but they had more leds... than the illigal ones.
When i put them in, and turned my lights on, the fuse for the running lights blew. i put a new one in and it happend again, the running lights wouldnt come on in the front or back. but the headlights came on, and the brake lights came on and the blinkers worked front and rear. so i put regular bulbs in and a new fuse and they worked again...

Why did the new LED tailight replacement bulb make the fuse blow for only the running lights? can i do anything to be able to put them back in??
the blinker and brakes worked too without that fuse but the running lights didnt.

Also, in the tailights, theres 3 wires, 2 power 1 ground i assume, could i take one of those wires and wire it to the back up lights for a blinker?? then replace the bulb with a amber led bulb.
or would it light up with the brakes on the other side when i hit the brakes and had my blinker on?

The regular filament bulbs have 2 filaments, i assume one is for driving lights and the other for brakes/blinker

is there anything i can do to get the illigal ones to light up like regular insted of flash? i like how the spun back n forth when i had the driving lights on

·
Banned
38,678 Posts
Sounds like the second set of LEDs were defective, or there's something screwy with the parking light circuit on your truck. Do you have any documentation on them, like how much current they're supposed to pull? Maybe the original packaging? If so, test them alone (just hooked to a 12V supply and a multimeter) to see if they're defective on either circuit (park or brake).

The short answer is that you can't easily cross-connect the turn signals to the backup bulbs.

And unless you're an electronics technician :shrug, you won't be reprogramming the first set of LEDs, either. Just sell 'em. :thumbup

·
Registered
229 Posts
If so, test them alone (just hooked to a 12V supply and a multimeter) to see if they're defective on either circuit (park or brake).
Are you saying to test them to see if they match the numbers on the package?
to see if they're defective on either circuit (park or brake).
Can you explane that more?

·
Banned
38,678 Posts
"Test them" means put power to them and see if they light up. An LED "bulb" actually has a small current-limiting circuit built into each group of elements (Light-Emitting Diodes), and there's one group for brakes/turns and another for parks. Test each circuit (group).

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I have a pair of the LED bulbs from Autozone and they worked fine but LED bulbs will not allow the factory cruise control to work. I took mine out and put regular bulbs back in since I use cruise a lot so I still have the LED's for sale if anyone wants them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts